Community Forum

Customer Service Board Archival

Administrator

Customer Service Board Archival

Since the Xfinity Forum started in 2003, we have continued to allow topics to live on forever in our public forum. This method has allowed outdated and irrelevant content to remain accessible. This means that some of our users have experienced difficulty finding the Best Answer for their question or get the assistance they are looking for.

Recently, this board underwent a “clean up”. That means that older posts are no longer viewable here. These outdated posts have been moved to our Customer Service Archive Board. You will be able to view those posts there for your reference, you will just no longer be able to interact or reply to them.

After some time in this public archive, those posts will no longer be searchable or viewable. Of course, any topics that are still very active, regardless of the age, will continue to stay in a public board for you to participate in. If one of your posts is archived, don’t worry it will not affect your post count, your rank, or any associated badges.

If you want more information about the Xfinity Help & Support Forum Archival Project, see here: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Forum-Community/Xfinity-Help-amp-Support-Forum-Archival-Project/td-p/30...

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Tags (1)
Expert

Re: Customer Service Board Archival

Yippee! 

The Forums stick this horrible banner after all my posts automatically. I'm sorry.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Bronze Problem Solver

Sort of "yippie", I suppose.  On the other hand, lots and lots of really great forum history and memories just disappearing, posts from wonderful friends I never met in person who aren't with us anymore, back when this used to be a real community.  Especially for those of us who've been here since the beginning.

Gotta be a lotta storage that could be recovered, though, so overall, guess I understand.

Administrator

All,

The posts in this board are not going away yet. They will still remain active and viewable, you just wont be able to reply to them anymore. You can use them for reference in new conversations and you can certainly link people to them. 

However, it has been almost 15 years that this community has been active with little to no content management, so this should be the first step in making the forum easier to use and actually be able to find the content that you need. 

We are definitely excited about this!

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Expert

A lot of the old posts have outdated info, but they still show up in web searches. It will be great to archive those old posts so people can get more up-to-date info. Sometimes I Google a question and get my own post from years ago that is no longer valid.  It will be great to clean up and put away those ancient posts. 

The Forums stick this horrible banner after all my posts automatically. I'm sorry.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Expert

I just found your post here. The overall goal sounds good. I just hope what you said here is true, and meets the goals of the original forum.

Contributor

"These outdated posts will move to our Phone Archive Board. "

It looks like there are seven boards for posts:

1) Internet

2) TV

3) Phone 

4) Mobil Apps

5) Home Security and control

6) Billing and customer service

7) Xfinity Knowledge Base 

Is the phone board, #3 , where older posts will be archived?  Smiley HappySmiley HappySmiley Happy

Problem Solver

Re: "These outdated posts will move to our Phone Archive Board. "

@ICUDOUCMEwrote:

It looks like there are seven boards for posts:

1) Internet

2) TV

3) Phone 

4) Mobil Apps

5) Home Security and control

6) Billing and customer service

7) Xfinity Knowledge Base 

Is the phone board, #3 , where older posts will be archived?  Smiley HappySmiley HappySmiley Happy

From what I could see from linking to the archive board in CJessie's post, that is the only way to find the Archive Boards.  They are not shown in the expanded board headings.  This is what I found when clicking on Xfinity Help and Support Forums/:      Will these archives be added to the forum listing?  

Archives.PNG

Most Valued Poster

@ComcastJessie wrote:

All,

The posts in this board are not going away yet. They will still remain active and viewable, you just wont be able to reply to them anymore. You can use them for reference in new conversations and you can certainly link people to them. 

However, it has been almost 15 years that this community has been active with little to no content management, so this should be the first step in making the forum easier to use and actually be able to find the content that you need. 

Is this why I got over 100 notification emails yesterday  evening and all night long for forum topics I have subscribed to since 2013? I have no problem with the cleanup but how in the world would I ever have seen your cleanup announcement if someone had not provided it to me after I posted a new topic about all the email notifications for ancient topics?

Expert

@TerriB wrote:

@ComcastJessie wrote:

All,

Is this why I got over 100 notification emails yesterday  evening and all night long for forum topics I have subscribed to since 2013?

Yes.

....how in the world would I ever have seen your cleanup announcement if someone had not provided it to me after I posted a new topic about all the email notifications for ancient topics?

I guess you could read the sticky posts? 

Most Valued Poster

@Nerdburg wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@ComcastJessie wrote:

All,

Is this why I got over 100 notification emails yesterday  evening and all night long for forum topics I have subscribed to since 2013?

Yes.

....how in the world would I ever have seen your cleanup announcement if someone had not provided it to me after I posted a new topic about all the email notifications for ancient topics?

I guess you could read the sticky posts? 

Aren't sticky posts usually at the top of the thread? I don't have a reason to go to the top of a thread that usually has dozens of pages. I keep up with subscribed topics/threads and when I get notifications that there are new posts, the forum takes me to those posts. I cannot imagine going alllllll the waaay up to look for a sticky. Am I making sense?

Administrator

Re: "These outdated posts will move to our Phone Archive Board. "

The archive will be fully viewable from the Home Page of the forum after the clean up is complete. 

Expert

@TerriB wrote:

Aren't sticky posts usually at the top of the thread? I don't have a reason to go to the top of a thread that usually has dozens of pages. I keep up with subscribed topics/threads and when I get notifications that there are new posts, the forum takes me to those posts. I cannot imagine going alllllll the waaay up to look for a sticky. Am I making sense?

Yeah, you're making sense. But I'm talking about the sticky at the top of the forum, not the thread. I recognize that you don't hang out in the CS forums much, so you might not have seen the sticky there. I don't know if there is a better way to communicate with forum users about changes. Maybe it's something that admin will have to consider. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Problem Solver

@Nerdburgwrote:

@TerriBwrote:

Yeah, you're making sense. But I'm talking about the sticky at the top of the forum, not the thread. I recognize that you don't hang out in the CS forums much, so you might not have seen the sticky there. I don't know if there is a better way to communicate with forum users about changes. Maybe it's something that admin will have to consider. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What and where is the location of the "top of the forum" ? Do we have an overall Index page? Landing Page? or what ever you want to call it.   We did have one. Once Upon A Time, but now I don't know what   we have or what to call it.  Because of that, I have to rely upon the Bookmarks in my Profile settings.  This has been mentioned previously, but generally ignored. 

Edited~2/28/18  by bj

Expert

@BlueJay wrote:

@Nerdburgwrote:

@TerriBwrote:

What and where is the location of the "top of the forum" ? Do we have an overall Index page? Landing Page? or what ever you want to call it.   We did have one. Once Upon A Time, but now I don't know what   we have or what to call it.  Because of that, I have to rely upon the Bookmarks in my Profile settings.  This has been mentioned previously, but generally ignored. 

Edited~2/28/18  by bj

https://forums.xfinity.com/

I am not a Comcast employee.
I am a customer volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Problem Solver

@Againwrote:

@BlueJaywrote:

@Nerdburgwrote:

@TerriBwrote:

Edited~2/28/18  by bj

And......   I still don't see a STICKY indicator at the top of the page that resolves from that link.   

Most Valued Poster

@Again wrote:

@BlueJay wrote:

@Nerdburgwrote:

@TerriBwrote:

Edited~2/28/18  by bj

I feel stupid. I went to the start page of the forums and don't see any stickies at the beginning of any  listed forum. Under 'new topics' there is a link to the archival message but sure don't see any stickies anywhere.

Expert

You asked about a Landing page, so that's the link I gave you, BJ.  Stickies are located at the top of each of the Forum categories.  https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Customer-Service/bd-p/CustServ_CustServ

stickies.JPG

I am not a Comcast employee.
I am a customer volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Most Valued Poster

@Again wrote:

You asked about a Landing page, so that's the link I gave you, BJ.  Stickies are located at the top of each of the Forum categories.  https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Customer-Service/bd-p/CustServ_CustServ

Oh for heaven's sake.  Those topics that have a 'push pin' next to them are what you are calling stickies. I call that 'pinning' a message to the top like on social media.

Expert

@TerriB wrote:

@Again wrote:

Oh for heaven's sake.  Those topics that have a 'push pin' next to them are what you are calling stickies. I call that 'pinning' a message to the top like on social media.

Terry:

You must be used to "Open Roads" forum on RV.Net, Woodall's, and others for Motor-homes, trailers, etc.

We always called them "stickies" found on top of current page for any category of the forum. Then again we had: New, Popular, etc., which covered all categories rather than the single categories numbering about 3 dozen.

Mark  Smiley Wink

Expert

@BlueJay wrote:
What and where is the location of the "top of the forum" ?

Seriously? You are having a conversation in the thread that is "stickied" to the top of the CS forum. 

Problem Solver

@Nerdburgwrote:

@BlueJaywrote:
What and where is the location of the "top of the forum" ?

Seriously? You are having a conversation in the thread that is "stickied" to the top of the CS forum. 

Yes! Seriously!  And if I had made that remark, my post would have been removed,  for Forum improprieties.   

I am serious!   There should have been a Forum/Board ADDED to the list of Forums/Boards found on that landing page.

I just stumbled across postings and questioned CJessie about them and she then inserted a link.  From there I bookmarked that link and found other Archival Boards.  

Nuf Said

Expert

@BlueJay wrote:

riously!  And if I had made that remark, my post would have been removed,  for Forum improprieties.   

I am serious!   There should have been a Forum/Board ADDED to the list of Forums/Boards found on that landing page.

You think we should add a "Dead Thread" forum to the landing page?!  The entire idea of archiving old posts is to get them out of circulation. They are long dead threads with old/outdated information, the no longer have relevance.