Community Forum

Critical issue: sagging overhead line blocking access to services and fire trucks

Regular Visitor

Critical issue: sagging overhead line blocking access to services and fire trucks

The overhead Xfinity distribution lines that cross over the entrance to our street drooped below the minimum height three weeks ago. I have made multiple attempts to report the issue with Xfinity, but nothing has been done. As a result, vehicles over 12”—the approximate height of the lines—are no longer able to access and service our street, including Waste Management garbage/recycling/compost trucks and fire trucks. A truck nearly pulled down the lines last week (I was walking up the street and stopped the truck before they snapped, which would have cut services for 100+ homes). This is a very serious access and safety issue that needs an immediate fix. 

I have placed six service calls to Xfinity customer service. Xfinity has sent the wrong technicians each time. Despite repeating 'its a utility pole-to-pole distribution issue, not a drop issue--don't send a drop line tech, send a bucket, respond like a windstorm just knocked down a utility pole, etc', each agent has sent a technician to my home, who has told me the same thing: 

a) they were told by dispatch that the drop line needed to be raised

b) they were (obviously) not the right person for the job

c) Frontier will need to raise their cable first

d) it's my responsibility to coerce Frontier to raise their cable

e) there's nothing else they can do to remedy the issue until Frontier raises the cable

f) yesterday's technician told me to stop calling customer service

I'm back at step 0. Xfinity, you need to remedy the situation this week. I have placed a formal complaint with the Washington State Utilities and Transportation Commission, who acknowledged the validity of the issue this morning and is opening a case. I have also reported it to the King County Utility Right of Ways Department and local fire services. 

You may reach out to me for location and additional details. 

lines.PNG
Admin1

Re: Critical issue: sagging overhead line blocking access to services and fire trucks

Hi prin -- I can help get the right crew out to raise that line. Please send me a PM with your name, address this is at, and best contact information (in case tech ops needs to reach you for further information). I'll be able to get a job created with this information. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Admin1

Re: Critical issue: sagging overhead line blocking access to services and fire trucks

prin -- Thank you for providing your information via PM. I spoke with tech ops and our maintenance teams. I received confirmation that they were able to go out to raise the line. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

Correct, the team raised the line yesterday. That's great, and solves a single incident, but doesn't address the big issue that I and others have faced: why it's so difficult to report a downed/low distro line to Xfinity and see quick results, an issue that should be top priority for field teams given the access (blocked streets, cutoff from weekly and emergency services) and safety concerns (dangling cables, vehicles snagging lines). Something is critically wrong with your field service communications and incident prioritization--your team needs to fix it. 

We should not have to call customer service SEVEN times over a THREE WEEK period while cut off from access by waste services, fire trucks and deliveries; nor should we need to file formal complaints with local, county and state agencies to coerce Xfinity to get off its butt and raise a low hanging distro cable. Three field team members told me customer service doesn't have a support script for sending distro teams, thus they repeatedly coded the issue as a drop line problem, which meant yet another visit by home technicians, who were not only annoyed but only managed to add fuel to the fire by communicating wrong information, including: 

- "Frontier has to raise their lines first, so its not Xfinity's problem right now. Call Frontier, then call us when its fixed." WRONG: your crew yesterday confirmed they Xfinity is the higher conductor on the line, so Frontier would've been waiting for Xfinity. 

- "Don't hold your breath--this won't get fixed any time soon." Is this standard customer communication? No next steps, sense of urgency, or offer to escalate the issue? 

I'll stop. You get the point. Add a call script, provide an emergency number....fix the issue. 

Admin1

prin -- I would agree that getting this line raised should not have been as big an ordeal was it turned out to be. As this was a main line, this was outside the scope of a standard field tech and would require a network line tech. Any field tech who comes should report this to our maintenance team so the right crew can come out to resolve this.