Community Forum

Constant service dropouts.

New Poster

Constant service dropouts.

Hi, longtime comcast user, and I love the service. About two months ago, I began to have random internet dropouts in my home. I had a newer Arris surfboard modem for the higher speed internet, with my wireless router plugged into it.This worked pretty trouble free for over a year. Figuring it was my router (it was an older unit) I bought a much newer gigabit capable unit. While this seriously boosted signal power all over my house, I was still experiencing drops in my internet. Next link in the chain had to be the Arris modem, right? So I went into the xfinity store and got their modem, thus eliminating my router and modem. Got it home and plugged in, setup the wifi, and off to the races! ........for about an hour. Internet dropped out. Checked the cables, removed a splitter in the line, reconnected and rebooted. Came back for about 45 minutes. Dealt with this for a few days constantly rebooting the modem, and then called tech support. While on the line, tech support told me they were updating the firmware/software remotely on my modem and cable box. He told me to go ahead and reboot the modem again and everything would be cool. Since then I've had service go out 10+ times a day, only coming back with a modem reboot. Dropped into the xfinity store again today to address this, and now I've a technician coming Sunday. I was warned that just sending someone out was going cost at least $70, and it went up from there depending on the problem. I'm very frustated at this point, beginning to wonder why I pay so much for the service. I hope the tech finds something, I'll update my post with what was found and how much it cost me.

Valued Contributor

Re: Constant service dropouts.

Sending a tech out does not automatically mean you will be charged. You should only be charged a fee for the tech if the problem is your responsibility basically. If it is Comcasts equipment, or the problem is with your drop line for example, this on Comcast and no charge should be applied. If the problem is wiring in your home, or your own equipment, then a charge would be applied. This can be tricky, so make sure you have a clear understanding of what the tech is doing.
Expert

Re: Constant service dropouts.

@L1MasterASE,

How did the tech visit go?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!