Community Forum

Connecting gateway to cable

New Poster

Connecting gateway to cable

Comcastshane I have direct TV and just got the Xfinity gateway self install there's only one coax cable into the house which directtv is ran through the gateway cannot connect through any coax cable and can't come online the tech guy is 70$ for some reason when I thought installation is free I was never able to install it in the first place but I wasn't aware it wouldn't work the regular way no splitter or amplifier works from the main power coax is there a way I can fix this myself without paying 70$for a tech guy
Official Employee

Re: Connecting gateway to cable

If you’re going to try yourself, To start with you’ll need at least 2 things: a live Comcast coax signal and a cable outlet that you can hook up to that coax that doesn’t go through the direct tv hook up at all. Hook up your gateway to only that cable outlet. Without one or both, you’ll need a tech install

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I don't have a live Comcast cable at all but they didn't tell me this when I ordered it and I had asked specifically if it would work fine with directtv and had been told yes but isn't installation free
Official Employee

I don’t have access to any fees associated with your account but escalated up to a colleague who can answer those questions for you. Your service will not work with direct tv

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Hello, Halo36! Thank you for reaching out to us. I can check if we have any promotions for a free tech visit in your area. Please send me a private message and include your full name, the account holder's name as it's listed on the billing statement. Click on my name ComcastElla, then click Send a message.