Community Forum

Complex self install

New Poster

Complex self install

So, I qualify for self install because the house previously had Comcast.  However, when the house was readied for sale by previous owner, they seem to have ripped out cable.   So, the cable is still dangling over the fence, and I figure I might literally be able to "take it from there".  I work in tech, so I can run cables without hurting myself.  However, no experience with cable coax cables, esp what  might be around here on the SF Peninsula (old cables and/or different from other geos in US - just moved here)?  

I'll assume the left two are phone, the right cable TV => https://drive.google.com/open?id=12vNauWlKz6MLVRtp1gbD8lu2zSUXpLk9 .  Not familiar with the coax cable which has the second signal on the outside.  Is all I have to do it strip, put a connector and continue running the cable from there?  => https://drive.google.com/open?id=12vNauWlKz6MLVRtp1gbD8lu2zSUXpLk9

Official Employee

Re: Complex self install

That is correct, cable on the right. Have you looked up to see if that cable is even attached to the tap at the pole? If you’re putting a splice in there (which you shouldn’t) use weatherproof fittings or you are risking your drop having access to the elements. Also, you’ll notice the cable itself has messenger wire attached to take the weight of the cable length, without it, you’re risking damage to any cable you put up through wind and storms. Just FYI’s when you go to do it yourself instead of a professional install.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Hello, selfinstaller. Thanks for reaching out to us on the forums. I hope what ComcastAndrew has advised works for you. If you find yourself running into issue, please send me a PM with your first and last name and I can see what we can do about getting a Tech out there.

To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastMichael" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Hello, selfinstaller. I have not heard back from you so we'll assume the self-install went ok. If you still need assistance, please feel free to start a new thread.