Community Forum

Comcast won't let me return my cable modem

New Poster

Comcast won't let me return my cable modem

I am installing a new home network and haven't used my phone service for years but kept it because the monthly rate was lower with 3 services versus 2 services.   I recently purchased a cable modem that did not have phone capabilities since I don't use a land line phone.    Went to return the rented Comcast cable modem that I am sure I paid 5x's what it is worth in rental fees and was told I can't return it without downgrading my service to double-play because Comcast can't charge me for a service I don't have the abilty to receive.   Make sense until they quote you a rate for less services that is $30 more per month.    Let me get this straight.  You can't charge me for a service I can't recieve but you can charge me more for not having the service I can't receive.   Is this criminal how Comcast uses their micro monopolies with Cable/Internet serive to sell or rope you into other services such as security, land line phone, or a mobil phone plan?  Shouldn't the consumer have the right to choose whatever plan they want and it be their responsbility to have compatible equipment?   

Official Employee

Re: Comcast won't let me return my cable modem

Hello WhyWhyWhy1. Thank you for joining the XFINITY Forums and creating your first post! We're glad you're here.

You certainly can buy your own modem to power both internet and phone service and then return our modem back to us to save cost on the modem rental. 

Also, it is true that we offer greater multi-product discounts when you have 3 services, the Triple Play, vs just have 2 services, the Double Play. This may have been why to change from 3 services to 2, your cost increased. You were probably losing promotional 3 product service discounts.