Community Forum

Comcast targeting the Elderly

Highlighted
New Poster

Comcast targeting the Elderly

I recently attempted to help my elderly mother in law with a Comcast issue.  Her cable box was damaged in a storm.  We were told the fastest way to resolve it was to get a new one from one of the Comcast stores.  While going to the store I was reviewing her bill and wondered why it was so high being that she only had their older legacy cable platform.  Turns out for the past 2 years she has been on a X1 double play even though the set-top boxes that they provided only supported basic cable (no on-demand, no voice remote, no dvr, and limited channels).  I was naive in my thought that Comcast would want to be a good service provider and citizen and make things right.  I was so wrong!  They basically blamed her for not knowing!  we repeatedly ask to speak to a supervisor and was told "I don't have one at my house, but if I did they would tell you the same thing".  Never once offered a credit or anything.   I have to believe she is not the only one Comcast has done this to.  Seems like since she is older they think she wouldn't notice. Often elderly people don't know what service they are supposed to receive.  Over the past 2 years, she has had several technicians that have come to provide service, and not ONE of them informed her that the set-top boxes she had did not support the service she was paying for.  This is one sad shady company.  Glad I finally cut the cord with them.  I still need to find a resolution for my mother in law.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Comcast targeting the Elderly

I would just like someone at Comcast to take just a tiny bit of accountability and attempt to make this right.  She truly deserves better.

Highlighted
Official Employee

Hello, Chipsdog. Welcome to the Xfinity Forums! I'm sorry to hear this was your mother in law's experience with us and its definitely not what we want for any of our customers. I would love to work with you to ensure that her services and equipment match so she isn't paying more than she should have to, as well as seeing what we can do to make up for her past experience. Please send me a private message with your first and last name, as well as hers and her service address so I can assist. 

To send a private message, click my name "ComcastTambrey", then click "send a message".

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Information sent...ball is in your court to do the right thing.  Please don't disappoint everyone is watching how Comcast takes care of some of it's most vulnerable customers.

Highlighted
New Poster

I haven't heard back....hopefully taking care of the elderly is still a concern for Comcast