Community Forum

Comcast "faster Internet speeds" letters provide FALSE information

New Poster

Comcast "faster Internet speeds" letters provide FALSE information

I received a postal letter from Comcast a few weeks ago with the headline "Update your modem to get faster Internet speeds."  I've included the full-text of the letter below.  But the bottom line is the letter says my current modem (SB6121) will not be able to handle the faster speeds, and Comcast recommends I upgrade my equipment.  I went to the Comcast web site to view the list of modems certified to work with my speed tier, and selected an SB8200, which I purchased for $189+tax (~$200).  After completing the install with the Comcast service rep on the phone, I re-ran three different "speed tests" and compared the results with the tests I ran with the old modem.  My Internet speed was not changed by the modem upgrade.  While discussing with the technician, I was informed that my previous modem (SB6121) was capable of hadling the faster speeds, and that I did not need to upgrade my modem.

I would like Comcast to reimburse me the $200 I spent on the modem, because you provided me incorrect information in your letter and online.

Here is the full-text of the letter:

"Dear xxx,

Get ready -- we're increasing Internet speeds in your area.

Our records show that the modem you currently have connected to our network won't be able to handle these faster speeds, so we recommend updating your equipment.

Get started:

Buy from a retailer:  Before you make your purchase, visit mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com to view a list of modems certified to work on our network with your speed tier.

Lease an Xfinity modem (Comcast's regular lease fees apply.). Call 1-855-242-2876 and we will send you a Self-Install Kit.

Thank you for being an Xfinity customer.

Sincerely,

Comcast"

New Poster

Re: Comcast "faster Internet speeds" letters provide FALSE information

Should I expect to get a response to this from Comcast personnel, or not?

Official Employee

Hi, pwyngaard - Apologies for the delayed response. The reason why we recommended to swap your previous modem is not only because we upgraded the speed. If we stop supporting a device - we won't be able to provision it. This is the reason why we have a list of approved modems.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

ComcastElla:  here's the thing, the following paragraph in the letter you sent me turned out to be false:

"Our records show that the modem you currently have connected to our network won't be able to handle these faster speeds, so we recommend updating your equipment."

I learned this after following your recommendation, buying a new modem, and installing it.  I had tested my upload/download speeds prior to the swap, and after the swap.  The numbers were essentially identical.  I asked the technician who registered my new modem why that was. He looked up my old modem, and told me that it would have worked just fine with the new speeds.  I asked him why Comcast sent me a letter telling me it would not be able to handle the faster speeds.  He apologized, and said it must have been sent in error.

So, given that this letter was sent in error, and contained factually inaccurate information that prompted me to unnecessarily buy a $199 modem, I am requesting that Comcast provide me a service credit in this amount (actually, $199 plus 6% MI sales tax, or $211).

Also, you guys really need to fix whatever broken process you have internally that ended up sending these erroneous letters.  It's really disturbing to get such a specific message from you ("Our records show that the modem you currently have connected to our network won't be able to handle these faster speeds") that turns out to be completely false.

Expert

The SB6121 is an aging modem that will soon be EoL (End of Life). The non-retail version of that modem is already EoL and no longer supported by Comcast. Its speed capacity in the real world is in the 100Mbps range since its only 4x4 (up/down) channels. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

@ wrote:

I received a postal letter from Comcast a few weeks ago with the headline "Update your modem to get faster Internet speeds."  I've included the full-text of the letter below.  But the bottom line is the letter says my current modem (SB6121) will not be able to handle the faster speeds, and Comcast recommends I upgrade my equipment.  I went to the Comcast web site to view the list of modems certified to work with my speed tier, and selected an SB8200, which I purchased for $189+tax (~$200).  After completing the install with the Comcast service rep on the phone, I re-ran three different "speed tests" and compared the results with the tests I ran with the old modem.  My Internet speed was not changed by the modem upgrade.  While discussing with the technician, I was informed that my previous modem (SB6121) was capable of hadling the faster speeds, and that I did not need to upgrade my modem.

I would like Comcast to reimburse me the $200 I spent on the modem, because you provided me incorrect information in your letter and online.

Here is the full-text of the letter:

"Dear xxx,

Get ready -- we're increasing Internet speeds in your area.

Our records show that the modem you currently have connected to our network won't be able to handle these faster speeds, so we recommend updating your equipment.

Get started:

Buy from a retailer:  Before you make your purchase, visit mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com to view a list of modems certified to work on our network with your speed tier.

Lease an Xfinity modem (Comcast's regular lease fees apply.). Call 1-855-242-2876 and we will send you a Self-Install Kit.

Thank you for being an Xfinity customer.

Sincerely,

Comcast"

I think you would have better luck returning the modem to where you purchased it. Getting Comcast to pay for it is not in the cards. Always read the fine print when getting promos from any company. Buy a magnifying glass if needed.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Admin1

pwumgaard -- Refunding you for your purchased modem is not something we do. You can return your modem to where you purchased it from for a refund. We can activate your previous modem since it is still listed on our Approved Devices site. Please let us know if you'd like your SB6121 reactivated to your account. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

nerdburg:  100Mbps was my upgraded speed, so the SB6121 would have been just fine.  But Comcast told me it would not be fine.  That was not true.  They should not send out letters to customers with false information.  And when they do, they should own it.  Do these people not have mothers who taught them this when they were little?

New Poster

MNtundraRET:  no fine print on the letter.  I included the full text above.  So yeah, the bottom line is don't believe their letters.  But that shouldn't be the case.  They could have sent out a generic letter saying "Hey, we're upgrading your speed, you should probably inform yourself to figure out (a) what we're actually upgrading it to, and (b) whether your modem will handle it."  But that's not the letter they sent out.  Their letter was very specific, telling my that my specific modem would not support the upgraded speeds.  And that was wrong.  I think Comcast should own that mistake, and do whatever they have to do internally to not make such mistakes in the future.

New Poster

ComcastZach:  I cannot return the modem, I tried.  When I opened it, it was wrapped in a plastic wrapper with a seal that said that when I broke the seal, it was not returnable.

Look, you guys made a big mistake sending this letter out to hundreds, or thousands, of tens of thousands of customers incorrectly.  Why did you do that?  Clearly, a big mistake was made internally that lead to this letter being sent.  Why don't you fix that?  And while you're at it, for customers who were unfortunate enough to believe you, why don't you hold yourselves accountable and make it right?

Admin1

pwyngaard -- We understand where you're coming from however, we simply do not refund for purchased devices. The reason for this is we do not have a way to verify your reason for purchasing a new device. Where did you purchase this modem from? I have not heard of a company who will not take the modem back after purchasing.