Community Forum

Comcast is injecting SSL AUPM notifications into my applications rendering them useless

New Poster

Comcast is injecting SSL AUPM notifications into my applications rendering them useless

For the past few days I have been entirely unable to use one of my PC applications because when I open it there is a huge Comcast overlay saying they have a AUPM notice for me and prompting me to call their Comcast Security number. Said number left me on hold for over 2 hours with no response. This overlay has a "HERE" button that is supposed to close the overlay but does nothing. The only other thing I can press is an "About Constant Guard" button that takes me to a webpage overlay IN MY GAME that talks about Comcast's Norton Security. (No escape from there either)

After research I discovered that Comcasts injects these "Emergency" messages in people's HTTP browsers when you get close to or reach your data cap.. even though the message said NOTHING about that. Customer support knows little to nothing about this.. obviously. I haven't found anything online about them injecting these into applications. They could just EMAIL people when they are close to their data cap like a NORMAL ISP. SMDH

My data cap like everyone else's get reset on the 1st of every month and thus, on the third today, it shouldn't be happening, however it still is.

The first forum post that I created about this was deleted as well! It is almost as if Comcast is using these (what I think would be ILLEGAL) ssl injections to annoy customers to the point of just paying extra for unlimited bandwidth! Which is completely insane and terrible business practice. I have already left as many 1 star reviews as possible for Comcast Xfinity on all review sites (not that you can lower a 1 star rating any more...). 

I would love to hear from a Comcast rep as to the legality of these attacks on my computer, and a solution other than me dropping the ONLY ISP provider in my area. Will attach screenshot of AUPM notice when I get to my home computer. 

Expert

Re: Comcast is injecting SSL AUPM notifications into my applications rendering them useless

Moved here for possible greater visibility to actual CC employees.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Comcast is injecting SSL AUPM notifications into my applications rendering them useless

I am also getting these AUPM notices and support has no clue. They say to "reboot your modem and computer," "reset your wifi password."

I am using latest Chrome, Windows 10 and it seems to happen when it's an unsecure website. I am nowhere near my data use cap as it is the 2nd of the month and last month I reached only 1/2 data. The prior month I did go over but it was my 1st month so not charged.

To further annoy users, the first time I enter the phone number on the account it says there isn't an acccount, it then says "let's try something else." I select phone and then it works. Then I have to enter the phone number again. The recorded message gives only one choice , "If you are calling about data usage, press 1." There is nothing in the AUPM notice to suggest a possible overage or anything to do with data usage. 

Also, it says there is a copy of an email in my account - nope. Nada. Don't then even test the customer experience? Oh right. They have a monopoly and don't care. The "most hated company in the country."

I cannot find a fix but had success when I called a couple of days ago. The support person finally found the fix. Next time I'll ask what he did.

Other posts suggest it's a tactic to upsell a higher data quota or wireless gateway. 

Second call. Still on hold...16 minutes...

Official Employee

Hello, stillonhold1. Thanks for reaching out to us with your concerns.

There are quite a few reasons why you may be receiving this message. I advise reviewing the Acceptable Use Policy for Xfinity Internet.

If you believe these notifications are invalid, please contact our security assurance team at their toll-free number: 1-888-565-4329.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!