Community Forum

Comcast charging rental fee for the owned modem

Regular Visitor

Comcast charging rental fee for the owned modem

I am getting charged $10 per month for the modem I own. When I contacted support via chat. The agent reported modem as comcast modem. When I pointed to the support website which shows modem as personal/owned modem, she transferred me to "supervisor" and "supervisor" abruptly disconnected chat session.

I know expecting curtosy, hospitality and professionalism from comcast is asking too much, how do I just get my problem resolved and get refund for the fees they have been charging me all these years?

Here is a screenshot from your website showing my modem

2018-03-23_13-09-44.jpg

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Comcast charging rental fee for the owned modem

Your picture isn't visible due to a known forum software glitch, but having been through the "we own your modem" notice, as well, I believe you. What happens is that the modem ownership status "switch" needs to be flipped in two places by two different departments, which often doesn't happen.  It's a common problem, so hang tight.  One of the employees should be here soon to address the problem.

Admin1

Hi werthakkars -- I can help with that modem issue. Please send me a PM with your name, full service address, and either phone number or account number for authentication. I will open an Equipment Research ticket for your modem. We'll review the MAC address to verify if this modem is owned by us or owned by you. We'll correct the ownership status if the modem is verified to be owned by you.

Click my name (ComcastZach) and click Private Message Me.  

Regular Visitor

Sent you one on 3-25-2018

Let me know the next steps

Regular Visitor

I purchase a modem on 9-9-2012 on Amazon.  Returned my Comcast modem to my local Comcast store.  I haven’t been charged up until I renewed my service around November 2017 and every since then a $11.00 charge has appeared on my bill.  Comcast customer service doesn’t get it that I own the modem. How do I get this stopped?  I am not paying for a modem I own. I am sure the FCC would love to investigate and see what other illegal charges customers are being charged by Comcast

Official Employee

Hi @JH53

Thanks for reaching out. I can help you by opening an equipment research request. Since Amazon is not a certified third-party retailer of Comcast's we will need to confirm whether or not your current modem was a rental modem that was sold by a former customer or not. If this serial number associated with the modem is one that is owned by Comcast, this is why you would be charged. 

In order assist you, please send me a private message verifying your first and last name, street address including city state and zip code, and the full account number or phone number associated with your services. 

To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click private message me.