Community Forum

Comcast cable not on easement

New Poster

Comcast cable not on easement

If the neighborhood comcast cable, which runs through a neighbors property is not on an easement, can that neighbor intentionally cut through the cable (which is now in heavy duty conduit) so that he can put up a fence?

ie. Is comcast required to run their cables through easements?

Valued Contributor

Re: Comcast cable not on easement

It sounds like you should be making an 811 call before you start drilling fence posts to have the utilities properly marked and flagged.  I would advise against intentionally cutting any lines since you could be held liable for the damages (digging up a fiber optic line can run thousands to repair).  

Expert

Re: Comcast cable not on easement

@concerned_user1 wrote:

If the neighborhood comcast cable, which runs through a neighbors property is not on an easement, can that neighbor intentionally cut through the cable (which is now in heavy duty conduit) so that he can put up a fence?

ie. Is comcast required to run their cables through easements?

How do you know it's not on an easement?  Cable lines often cross a property in order to get to a house, depending on where the house connection is.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!