Community Forum

Comcast cable not on easement

New Poster

Comcast cable not on easement

If the neighborhood comcast cable, which runs through a neighbors property is not on an easement, can that neighbor intentionally cut through the cable (which is now in heavy duty conduit) so that he can put up a fence?

ie. Is comcast required to run their cables through easements?

Valued Contributor

Re: Comcast cable not on easement

It sounds like you should be making an 811 call before you start drilling fence posts to have the utilities properly marked and flagged.  I would advise against intentionally cutting any lines since you could be held liable for the damages (digging up a fiber optic line can run thousands to repair).  

Expert

Re: Comcast cable not on easement

@concerned_user1 wrote:

If the neighborhood comcast cable, which runs through a neighbors property is not on an easement, can that neighbor intentionally cut through the cable (which is now in heavy duty conduit) so that he can put up a fence?

ie. Is comcast required to run their cables through easements?

How do you know it's not on an easement?  Cable lines often cross a property in order to get to a house, depending on where the house connection is.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.