Community Forum

Comcast Video Outage (Explosion) took out fired my TV on Christmas Day, SMH...

New Poster

Comcast Video Outage (Explosion) took out fired my TV on Christmas Day, SMH...

Short Version: Woke up at 9:02 am checked my phone, replied to all the unnecessary X-mas texts.

9:18 am heard an explosion a few blocks away (I’ve heard that sound before but normally it’s during a storm, then the lights go out but this wasn’t the case.) I looked around no lights was out so I carried on with my day.

12:31pm after speaking with my mother for a few hours it was time to take my sinus meds so I looked over towards my living room TV I notice the cable box was stuck on 9:18. After investigating the situation the cable box went completely off and would not turn on also my TV would not power on. After unplugging the cable box and TV neither would power on. At this point I logged into my X1 account to check the status of the cable box which stated main box as well as secondary box was offline.   

Starting the Troubleshooting Process:

After going through the complete troubleshooting process nothing happened. At this point I was prompt to receive a call back.

The callback:

Callback took no time, I was promptly connected with Kerry-Ann whom seem to ask me everything about my account but the day I signed (way to much account verification needed) then Kerry Ann proceeded to walk me through the “Troubleshooting process again”. Kerry Ann wanted me to unplug everything and try every electrical outlet that I have. At this point I had to inform Ms. Ann that was not going to happen. Also I didn’t say anything about the explosion that I heard at 9:18 am, but she then informed me that there was an outage in the area earlier that morning. I processed to inform her about the TV that was working 6 hours before hand. Then she suddenly had an attitude with me about my TV LOL. Ms. Ann stated once the tech come out they will investigate and go from there. Oh okay,

I will post the outcome, Tomorrow

Expert

Re: Comcast Video Outage (Explosion) took out fired my TV on Christmas Day, SMH...

There is a good chance some of your Comcast equipment was fried the the noise you heard. The would have been caused by a electrical short on the electric transmission line.

They may be replacing the cable-box. I would check other electric appliances in your house to make sure they are okay too.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Re: Comcast Video Outage (Explosion) took out fired my TV on Christmas Day, SMH...

I checked everything in the house especially in the area where the TV was located, everything was/is fine expect the TV.  

New Poster

UPDATE:  After the tech visited my home to replace the cable receiver. He informed me that it’s not impossible for this to happen but it is rare. In a very polite way he only address the TV situation 1 time, but in not-so-many words he hinted that I was responsible for my television. I will be ending my service with comcast very soon if no plans for compensation and or replacement is made. The fact I was informed twice  voluntarily  that comcast was/is at fault as to why my television isn’t working. I was informed to take my television to a repair shop but then told not to being the cost would be expensive. I have only been with comcast for 2 months and already I have spent well over a $800, just my luck.  

New Poster

the explosin you heard was probably a transformer blowing out on neiborhood power lines, this can cause problems but that is not comcast that is your power company, next many power companies have switch overs to compensate for this happening so unless you had one blow right next to your house the surge could have only been a sec or less - and yes I have 1 dead TV and 1 dead Monitor over this happening but again it is not comcast they are on a  seperate transmission signal line using fiber optics not electricity not you can still get hit with lightneing ! and that as well can blow appliances good luck