Community Forum

Comcast Keeps Sending Unwanted xFi Gateway

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Comcast Keeps Sending Unwanted xFi Gateway

In December, both I and my dad got letters from Xfinity stating that they were sending each of us an xFi Gateway.  We didn't order these, and I tried to cancel the shipments, but they got delivered.  I talked with a Comcast employee about this, and (s)he couldn't stop the shipments, either.  I had to send both back.

Today, I got the same letter from Xfinity.  They are sending out another xFi Gateway.

Is this happening to any of you?

Expert

Re: Comcast Keeps Sending Unwanted xFi Gateway

You're getting the new devices because your current device will no longer be supported by Comcast. At some point, your current gateway will stop working properly. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Re: Comcast Keeps Sending Unwanted xFi Gateway

@Nerdburg wrote:

You're getting the new devices because your current device will no longer be supported by Comcast. At some point, your current gateway will stop working properly. 

Nerdburg,

I understand why they are sending the device; it's stated in every letter I get. I understood why the first time they sent it, and I sent it back then.
I don't want their gateway. I've read all about it. It's too simplistic. Sure, it's got flashy apps for those who think all that's cool, but I want to use my own individual modem and router. I want more control over my setup.

It's beyond comprehension why, after sending the first (unsolicited) device back, they send me another (unsolicited) one. I guess there's no such thing as record keeping. I even communicated with a Comcast employee when the first one was sent out, telling them I was sending it back and I didn't want it. You would have thought that would end it. So I guess this is going to become unopened boxes going back and forth.

By the way, when I got the first letter back in November telling me a new gateway was on it's way, I called Comcast and they told me they had no record of anything being shipped to me. But, when I went to MyAccount, it showed a gateway on it's way.
Depending on where you look, or who you talk to, you get different answers.

About the self-install...in the 25 years I've been with Comcast, administering three accounts in different locations, I've had perhaps only 10% of so-called self-installs go correctly. Hour long phone calls are always needed because the device wasn't registered when sent out, or when picked up at the store, even though the counter person says, yes, it's registered, it's plug and play.

Two of the accounts are my mother-in-law and father. Both are over 90 years old. My father lives 135 miles away. I can't see either of them pulling out the furniture, bending down behind to connect new devices, let alone being able to see the ports, understanding the instructions, and when things don't work, then knowing what to do. The last self-install (X1) at my mother-in-laws's took four hours on the phone. The last self-install at my own home took three trips to the store, and three hours on the phone, and after a month, they still are causing problems. Two of the four devices were not registered at the counter as promised.

Seems to me that rather than sending out unsolicited devices, Comcast should tell the customer why they should upgrade, and let the customer decide.