Community Forum

Comcast Customer Support susceptible to scammers

Highlighted
New Poster

Comcast Customer Support susceptible to scammers

After six phone calls to customer support without talking to human, your support staff finally called me back and said to receive help I had to provide my name, address, account number, and last 4 of my social. Are you kidding me? You called me! I shouldn’t have to give and will not give all 4 of those pieces of information to someone who calls me. So now I’m left with no alternative but to cancel my month to month. No internet no support.

Btw.. a halfway decent scammer would see what you’re doing, and would exploit it. They’d start scanning Comcast customer support threads for phone numbers and start doing phishing calls for those four pieces of information your employee asked me for. With that info they can log into anyone’s account. Absolutely crazy.
Highlighted
Expert

Re: Comcast Customer Support susceptible to scammers

Was that reply phone call unexpected or unsolicited? DId you leave your name and a callback number? 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Comcast Customer Support susceptible to scammers

The call was expected. I first called xfinity on Tuesday afternoon. (1) The automated message required me to do a reset before I could talk to a rep. I allowed the reset. After my router reset my internet still didn’t work. I responded “failed” to the Comcast text. Another text said I would receive a call shortly. 30 minutes later I had received no call so I called back (2). The automated message said I was in the queue and could expect a call in 32-46 minutes. An hour went by so I called again (3). This time it said I had 12-18 minutes. After 30 minutes I called again (4). This time I didn’t get the message telling me I was in the queue; I got the original message saying I needed to reset my router. Clearly I had been kicked from the queue, but I had never clicked the button to be removed from the queue. I had to reset my router and start over if I wanted any chance at talking to a human. So I reset my router and texted “failed” again when it didn’t work. I immediately called back to know my queue time. I got the reset router message suggesting I wasn’t added to a queue (5). When I fell asleep 6 hours later I had not yet received a call.

Today I woke up hoping I could get some work done (I took half a vacation day yesterday because I had no internet). Still my internet was not working this morning so I called again (6). I reset my router which of course did not work. I texted “failed” for the third time (still having never talked to a human). I received a call 4 minutes later from a different 1800 number than the one I had called. The beginning was the automated Comcast message saying I was being forwarded to a rep. He answered after 30 seconds. He then immediately asked me for my name, address. I responded don’t you know that? He said yes but I have to confirm who I am. I said “you called me and this call started with a text to my phone which is the number on the account. Don’t you have my account pulled up?” Yes, but I need you to confirm you’re information so I can open your account.

To be clear, when I worked for Amazon we also required name, email, and address, but that was because the customer called us. I was reluctant but I gave him my name and address. He then asked for my account number and last four of my social. At that point I started laughing and explained to him how ludicrous that was. I explained that I don’t know who he is because he called me. I’m sure the guy did work for Comcast, but I don’t care. I’m not giving that much data to someone if they call me. That is the flaw of Comcast’s internet support phone tree. You rely on the customer doing something they normally shouldn’t do, which preps the customer for scammers.