Community Forum

Coax sparks

New Poster

Coax sparks

had a tech out because cable tv picture was freezing in mid April. He found that the splitter was melted at the box and modem. Said splitter was installed improperly. Om May 15 i was swapping out my DVR box with a standard and sparks flew from coax when i tried to attach to the box. We unplugged the TV, box and modem. My husband electrical engineer used a volt meter and it indicated that 30 volts were in the coax. The cable comes into the house and it indicates that the cable coming in has 30 volts in it. I called comcast and asked for an emergency tech visit. The earliest appointment is tomorrow. We are not home and have asked that the cable be disconnected from the house. The customer service agent indicated that if no one is home the tech will leave. Iwant the cable disconnected  from the house to avoid fire risk. Comcast evidently has a different idea of an emergency than i do. All appliances are disconnected from the cable. I am disgusted with the response from Comcast to this situation. Customer safety is not a concern for them.

Official Employee

Re: Coax sparks

Hello, I can assist you further from here. To protect the privacy of your account, please send me a private message verifying your full name, street address including city, state, and zip code (and apartment number if one is associated), and the full account number or phone number associated with your services. To send a private message click on my name, then click private message me.

Valued Contributor

Re: Coax sparks

In all honesty this is a common occurence. It sounds scary but is nothing to worry about to the point of evacuating the house. It is likely improperly grounded, or your lines run parallel to power lines close by. Just trying to ease your mind a bit.