Community Forum

Chatted about upgrading, it went poorly, and then my internet was disconnected by remote reset

Highlighted
New Poster

Chatted about upgrading, it went poorly, and then my internet was disconnected by remote reset

Hey, I just wanted to see if anyone has had a similar experience and wanted to vent.

I pulled up chat this morning to inquire about upgrading to residential gigabit, and was given one answer, and then when I asked why the quote was so much higher than the published pricing online, I was ignored and told why I should accept the quoted plan. The CSR then tried to sell me on Xfi even though that wans't related to my question and I have no need for it (my home network was recently upgraded to be 2Gb capable).

We both started to get a bit frustrated and the conversation was going no where so I ended the chat. Immediately after ending the chat, my modem lost connection and I had to boot cycle my network to get reconnected. This made me suspicious so I connected to my modem, pulled the logs, and found a "Resetting the cable modem due to docsDevResetNow" with a time stamp matching the end of our chat.

This, to me, looks like a retaliatory reset signal was sent by the CSR. There is no justification otherwise for sending a reset signal being that our conversation was about upgrading and not related to connection trouble.

Here's the thing. I wanted to upgrade to gigabit at home to see if it might make sense for us to change to Comcast Business Gigabit at work after a recent protracted outage with our current business internet/phone provider. Instead, someone appears to have abused their resources.

Has anyone else experienced this? Should I expect this sort of treatment in the future if we have an issue with our Business class internet, assuming we even go that direction?

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Chatted about upgrading, it went poorly, and then my internet was disconnected by remote reset

@gigatn wrote:

Hey, I just wanted to see if anyone has had a similar experience and wanted to vent.

I pulled up chat this morning to inquire about upgrading to residential gigabit, and was given one answer, and then when I asked why the quote was so much higher than the published pricing online, I was ignored and told why I should accept the quoted plan. The CSR then tried to sell me on Xfi even though that wans't related to my question and I have no need for it (my home network was recently upgraded to be 2Gb capable).

We both started to get a bit frustrated and the conversation was going no where so I ended the chat. Immediately after ending the chat, my modem lost connection and I had to boot cycle my network to get reconnected. This made me suspicious so I connected to my modem, pulled the logs, and found a "Resetting the cable modem due to docsDevResetNow" with a time stamp matching the end of our chat.

This, to me, looks like a retaliatory reset signal was sent by the CSR. There is no justification otherwise for sending a reset signal being that our conversation was about upgrading and not related to connection trouble.

Here's the thing. I wanted to upgrade to gigabit at home to see if it might make sense for us to change to Comcast Business Gigabit at work after a recent protracted outage with our current business internet/phone provider. Instead, someone appears to have abused their resources.

Has anyone else experienced this? Should I expect this sort of treatment in the future if we have an issue with our Business class internet, assuming we even go that direction?

Have you tested your speeds since this forced reset?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Official Employee

Re: Chatted about upgrading, it went poorly, and then my internet was disconnected by remote reset

Hi @gigatn

Thank you for posting to the Xfinity Forums. I'd like to apologize for the experience you've had and offer additional assistance with pricing information on Gigabit speeds and try to find the cause of the modem reboot. Please send me a private message with your first and last name as it appears on your account? To send a private message, click on "ComcastChe" and then click "send a message." 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!