Community Forum

Charged professional installation fee for problem unrelated to my installation or equipment?

New Poster

Charged professional installation fee for problem unrelated to my installation or equipment?

On March 2, I installed my own cable modem at my new apartment. When I subscribed to Xfinity, the site said my apartment was cable-ready. Unfortunately, my modem was unable to receive a downstream signal, so I had to contact support.

The agent I spoke to stated she could not communicate with my modem remotely, and that a technician would have to come out. She said that if the problem was on Comcast's end, I would not be responsible for the installation fee. But if it was related to installing my own equipment, I would have to pay the fee.

On March 4, the contracted techs arrived and determined that the cable OUTSIDE of my building was disconnected. Nothing was wrong with my equipment or the cable inside of my apartment. The cable was apparently disconnected at the demarc box, which is obviously something a customer does not have access to. They reconnected the cable for my apartment and everything worked as expected.

There were no issues with my install or equipment. The issue was strictly because the cable was disconnected outside, at the Comcast box, where I could never have accessed it even if I wanted to. I don't understand why I am still reponsible for the professional installation fee since this was completely outside of my control. I was told by both the phone agent and techs on-site that I shouldn't be responsible for the fee for a problem like this.

I tried to use the online chat feature, but the agent (Manpreet) was unhelpful. He only stated that the charges were valid and seemed like there was nothing he could do. I still don't understand why. Why should I have to pay for something unrelated to my equipment or installation? Customers aren't allowed to fiddle with the equipment outside, so I couldn't have done anything there even if I wanted to. The techs didn't have to do anything to my equipment inside.

If anyone can provide any follow-up, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Expert

Re: Charged professional installation fee for problem unrelated to my installation or equipment?

The fee is an install fee since they had to send a tech out to complete the installation. The rep that told you there would be no fee was mistaken. Smiley Sad

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Admin1

Re: Charged professional installation fee for problem unrelated to my installation or equipment?

Hi jmgelman -- nerdburg would be correct about this. The charge is valid since a tech had to come out to complete the install process. 

New Poster

So basically it sounds like there was no way to prevent this fee from getting assessed, is that correct? In other words, even though this was an issue totally beyond my control, I'm still responsible.

I am curious...when I signed up online, I swear I remember putting in my address and it telling me the address was cable-ready. I assumed that meant everything infrastructure-wise was in place and I could do the self-install. So basically, you're just at the mercy of chance whether or not you're going to need a tech and be assessed the professional install fee. If you're lucky, the cable will be connected, and you won't. Otherwise, you will.

I was already assessed a $20 fee for a "self install kit", which included a cable splitter and 6 feet of RG6, neither of which I needed. And now $60 to reconnect a cable that probably shouldn't have been disconnected in the first place. So I'm out $80 instead of just $60 if I would've chosen the professional install to begin with?

I know you guys don't set the policies and it's probably beyond your control. So I understand that and I do appreciate your response. It's just a little frustrating. I'll have to keep this in mind for the future.

Official Employee

Hi jmgelman. We apologize for the frustration caused. As you stated, we charge a fee to ship out a self install kit. And as ComcastZach, and nerdburg stated, we charge a fee whenever self install fails, and a technician is needed to complete the install.