Community Forum

Charged $80 for a service visit I was told would be free

Regular Visitor

Charged $80 for a service visit I was told would be free

A little over a month ago our main cable box completely stopped working and gave us a constant 1PST error code.

When I first contacted tech support via chat, they agreed to send over a new box for a self-install. They confirmed with me that I had an X1 system, yet when the box arrived it was an old, non-X1 box (that I had paid a $15 shipping fee to receive). I then went back to the support chat where the representative apologized and agreed to send out the correct box and, after I insisted, waive the second $15 shipping fee.

When the second (correct) box arrived and we went to install it, our screen would only show a series or error codes. It then prompted us to call the support line, so I did so. The representative tried to send signals to the box remotely but nothing worked. She asked if I would like a tech to come out and I asked her if I would have to pay. She assured me that since the issue was with the Xfinity hardware, and because she had tried and failed to resolve it remotely, that I would not be charged for the tech visit.

The tech came a few days later. He realized that when we had tried to install the second box, it was right when Xfinity had some sort of network issue, which ended up killing the box. He then went into the basement and remarked that the wires--installed by Xfinity tech people when we got our service initially--were a mess. He quickly fixed the wires, plugged in/installed a new X1 box, took the old boxes, and left.

A few weeks later I noticed an $80 tech visit charge on my bill. I contacted support via chat and was told the charge was valid. I asked him to access the recording of my support phone call where I was told the support visit would be free and he told me he could not do so but would escalate my issue and someone would call me back. That was about a week ago and I never heard from anyone.

I'm frustrated that I have had to spend so much time dealing with this now. If I had paid both the shipping charges and now this current charge, that would be $110 spent to fix an issue that is not my fault and that I could not have foreseen. Would really appreciate some assistance here--thank you!

Expert

Re: Charged $80 for a service visit I was told would be free

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Regular Visitor

Great--thank you!

Official Employee

Hey Hilary31, 

Sorry for the experience you're having. I'd like to help make this right. Please send me a private message by clicking on my name, "ComcastChe" then click private message me. In the body of this message please verify your first and last name, street address including city state and zip code, and the account number or phone number associated with your services.