Community Forum

Charged $200 early termination fee for deceased mother's account.

Regular Visitor

Charged $200 early termination fee for deceased mother's account.

My mother passed away 09/12/17and I went to the Comcast office with a death certificate and a copy of her will stating I am the executor. I also brought her equipment and her last bill. I was given a receipt and told to wait for the final bill. It came yesterday and there was a $200 early termination fee, it also said I had not returned the modem which I have proof that I did. I called Comcast to try and get it straightened out but the person said they could not help me and I would have to go back to the office. He even said there was a record that I had been there with the death certificate and the will but he was not allowed to help me. It's odd they won't help even though I'm the one that is going to be paying her bill. It's a terrible time right now and Comcast is making it more terrible. 

Regular Visitor

Re: Spent last 4 months trying to close my deceased mother's Comcast account

This exact same thing is happening to me. My mother died on Sept. 12, 2017 and I was told to take a copy of her will and death certificate to the Comcast office along with her equipment. I did and the employee (who was very nice) said there would be a new bill sent out. I have a receipt for the modem, cable box and remote but I just got the final bill and it says I didn't return the modem. Not to mention a $200 early termination fee. I called comcast and the person (who took up 45 minutes of my time, most of it on hold) said I have to go back to the office. I don't want to waste one more minute on this evil company. I am seriously considering contacting the media because this is obviously a common business practice. 

Expert

Re: Charged $200 early termination fee for deceased mother's account.

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

I am not an employee.
Admin1

Hi sc164 -- I can help with your mother's account. Can you send me a PM with that account information please?

Click my name (ComcastZach) and click Private Message Me. 

Regular Visitor

What is the answer. I've just been given the run around by two people I couldn't understand, and then two more people who claim they want to help, and the last one decides to hold the security codes hostage. I have the legal documentation to act as executor for my mother's account, but apparently that is not good enough.

Expert

Chrissee wrote:

What is the answer. I've just been given the run around by two people I couldn't understand, and then two more people who claim they want to help, and the last one decides to hold the security codes hostage. I have the legal documentation to act as executor for my mother's account, but apparently that is not good enough.

Take your mother's death certificate, equipment, and bill to a local Comcast store in order to make sure the account is closed.  [Yes, this is something that has to be done.]  As executor you're responsible for taking care of her bills, but since she passed, the ETF should be waived although you may end up having to pay the last bill if there is a balance due [not the ETF].

I'm very sorry about your mother's passing.  Paryers and blessings for you and your family.

I am not a Comcast employee.
I am a fellow customer volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!