Community Forum

Changing Comcast Service: Mission Impossible?

Contributor

Changing Comcast Service: Mission Impossible?

Cue Mission Impossible Theme...

Should I spend another couple hours on the phone or can someone help me with my problem here?

Back in November, I moved to a new address. They told me they could lower my bill with a new promo. I told them I only needed/wanted Internet and Basic TV package. They told me it would be cheaper if I got the Triple Play with the phone service. Fine, I said. I want the lowest bill possible. 

The tech who installed me was freaked out by my cable modem and insisted I HAD to rent one from Comcast when the cable modem had been working fine for over a year. 

He finally got it set-up. Great. 

I paid the first couple bills. 

Then, out of nowhere, I get assaulted with numerous text messages and emails saying that there's been an "error" and I need to agree to an extra $10/month.

(SIDE NOTE: It's unethical (to say the least) to tell someone the "price" of a package is $95/month then tack on numerous other "hidden fees." My $95/month service actually cost around $130/month... Why can't you just be upfront about what we're going to pay?)

Anyway, after getting multiple text messages and emails, I called them. They said there was an error and that I had a Comcast modem and had to pay for it. News to me!

The phone rep told me they need to verify that I'm not using one of their modems. I'm a multi-year customer, but they were basically saying we have to make sure you're not lying. Okay, I said to myself. I don't have one of their modems, so this won't be a problem. 

A couple weeks went by - during which I got assaulted (digitally) by numerous text messages and emails telling me I needed to agree to the extra $10/month. I got a call back yesterday saying that I don't have one of their modems, but that I NEED TO HAVE ONE. This was never explained to me. And remember, I never wanted the "Triple Play" in the first place. I really think they offer that at a lower price to show stockholders that a lot of people are signing up for the phone service. (And now they're getting into mobile service? Why not fix the basic cable service problems first?)

Okay... I told them I never use the phone service and don't have a modem, so I don't need to get one. The rep told me that I'd agreed to have "working equipment" for the phone service and I WAS REQUIRED to rent a modem from Comcast. Huh? 

At that point, after multiple hours on the phone (and all the digital harrassment), I said, "Let me downgrade my service to Double Play, because I don't need or want the phone service."

The rep checked the price and... lo and behold... it's the SAME PRICE as Triple Play! 

That's not going to work, I said. I felt as if they were trying to badger me into paying an extra $10/month for equipment I didn't have and a service I didn't want!

Knowing Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Hulu are available now, I decided to cancel TV and go down to just internet. I looked it up online and found one of 10 internet offers that fit me. The one I wanted was $50/month for 100 megs down with a 12 month commitment. 

Great! I thought. This is perfect for me. This was during being transferred to SEVEN different people yesterday. I felt like a piece of garbage being transferred from one department to another. A nice lady (in India likely) told me I could get the 100 megs internet and basic tv for $87.71/month. 

WOW! I said. Sign-me up. She sent me an email. I read it and checked the two boxes to approve it and sent it through. She then sent me to an IT department to verify that I wasn't using a Comcast modem. That person hung up on me. 

I called back and was told that the $87.71/month wasn't available to me. Huh? And the $50/month internet-only wasn't available either. If I wanted Internet only I would have to pay $80/month. Fine, I thought. After having spent over an hour being passed back and forth like a piece of trash, I agreed. 

The rep sent me another email outlining the new deal. I checked the two boxes and hit agree. She told me my television would be cancelled at midnight and the new plan would be reflected on my bill. I woke up this morning and guess what... Yup. I still have TV service, and the changes aren't reflected on my bill. 

I want the original $87.71/month I was promised by the nice lady in India OR the $50/month internet-only. 

Why is this such a hassle? I'm real close to switching to AT&T and their $90/month plan for 100 meg internet and basic TV. 

Can anyone help me? I feel like I'm stuck in a Kafka novel... and it's not fun. 

Smiley Sad 

Expert

Re: Changing Comcast Service: Mission Impossible?

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Contributor

Thanks. I hope I don't get kicked out first. 

Is this the digital version of being passed around on the phone and hung up on? 

Contributor

Note... I didn't post the above to be mean or troll or disparage Comcast. 

Comcast is the best of the best. 

Only Comcast. 

(Am I doing better?)

Okay... all kidding aside. This is nuts. Why have a support forum if I can't interact? 

Expert

wrote:

Thanks. I hope I don't get kicked out first. 

Is this the digital version of being passed around on the phone and hung up on? 

Nobody wants to ban you my friend, we get that you're frustrated. Comcast does have a unique talent for making its own customers insane sometimes. Anyhow, you'll be talking to some corporate employees here and they will work with you to find a deal that you're happy with. Hang tight. 

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Contributor

Saw this on Facebook today, and thought I'd give the service forums a shot myself....

sawtrhis.JPG

sawtrhis.JPG
Contributor

Thanks. Like I said, I'm on day 2 of this adventure... something that should take a couple button clicks online...

*Steps back (on eggshells)...* 

Expert

wrote:

Thanks. Like I said, I'm on day 2 of this adventure... something that should take a couple button clicks online...

*Steps back (on eggshells)...* 

Just to help a bit, this isn't immediate help like you would receive in a chat session.  Patience is a virtue here.  No one is going to ignore you, however.  Your issue goes into a que, along with a lot of other customer issues.  Since nerdburg escalated your issue, though, you have bounced up the ladder considerably and someone from the Team will be along as quickly as they can to help you.  The Team member will respond to you here, giving futher instructions.

Relax.  Have a beverage of your choice.  Watch the Olympics [some really exciting events happening!].  Take deep breaths.  Contemplate the link in your dryer.  Watch the birds.

Most of all, remember we're here to help.  Smiley Happy

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Contributor

Thanks. Starting day three of trying to change service to internet only tomorrow. I was hoping to take care of it on the phone, but after yesterday, I'll just wait and hope here.

Official Employee

@TiredCustomer42 - I replied to your private message, please check your inbox. Thank you!

Contributor

Sent a reply back ... call or message, please. I'm here.