Community Forum

Change account from wife to me

Contributor

Change account from wife to me

My wife started our Comcast account (for TV)  many, many years ago. 

They made her  the primary account and I am considered 'secondary.'  

I pay the bills and take care of any tech issues and becasue of her medical issues it is best if I am in full control of the account.

What is the procedure for either:

1. Putting the account in my name

2. Leaving account in her name and making me 'primary"

(I honestly do know know the difference between 'name on account' and 'primary/secondary')

It is not urgent or even all that important... but it would make things a bit easier for us. We are in our 70s.  

Thank you for whatever help you can provide.

Official Employee

Re: Change account from wife to me

Hello Al8041, to do a change of responsibility, you both would need to go in person to one of our service centers, with a valid form of ID. 

As for your second question, we have two forms of "users". We have a secondary user, in the sense where your wife could add you to see bill details, have access to the account online, a Comcast username, etc. Then we have our billing authorized user, which can only be added by your wife in person or over the phone. Your name will then be added to our billing system. 

Does that make sense? I can clarify any other questions you have. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

@ComcastMartin wrote:

Hello Al8041, to do a change of responsibility, you both would need to go in person to one of our service centers, with a valid form of ID. 

As for your second question, we have two forms of "users". We have a secondary user, in the sense where your wife could add you to see bill details, have access to the account online, a Comcast username, etc. Then we have our billing authorized user, which can only be added by your wife in person or over the phone. Your name will then be added to our billing system. 

Does that make sense? I can clarify any other questions you have. 

OK, thank you. What can a "billing authorized user" do that a primary (or secondary) user can't do? 

I can log in as my wife. No problem. I did that a while ago to make myself the 'secondary' account.  I saw somewhere that I can log in as her and make myself primary but she would still be the so-called account-holder. Since I pay the bills and I take care of the Arris gateway and deal with calling Comcast when there are issues (we love Comcast... it is hardly ever down and when it is they fix both the TV and Internet quickly) I should be 'primary' as well as the account owner.  Is it true that  I can log in as her and make her secondary and me primary? Is this operative:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/change-your-primary-account-user

It is not a big deal leaving her as the so-called 'responsible party' but that is in name only since I do everything related to Comcast. I don't think I want to drive a half an hour to your retail store, stand on line for another half an hour, just to change the responsibile party. My wife is disabled and would be a bit much for her. You say I can do this over the phone?

Bottom line, it is silly for us to have a primary and secondary user. We only need one account and it should be me as primary user... but it is no big deal. 

So again, what can she do as account owner that I can't do if I become 'primary.' ?

Official Employee

Al8041, 

The closest we can do over the phone is being added as an authorized user in our system. The Primary username is something completely different than this. 

Being an authorized user, you can do pretty much everything that the account holder can. It should be a quick 5-10 minute phone call. I actually had my mom add me as an authorized user on her account about a month ago. Your wife will just need to tell them, I need to add my husband as an authorized user on my account and then give them your full name. I can also double check after the call to make sure it was set up properly if you would like. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

Now I'm even more confused.

You have the account holder.

You have authorized user.

You have primary user.

You have secondary user.

Can you explain to me the "rights and priviledges" of each of the above? 

Thanks.

Official Employee

The account holder can do anything regarding the account. 

The authorized user has access to the following in regards to the account holder's account:

• Add, change, or remove bill-to address.
  • Add, change, or remove contact information (phone, email, etc.).
  • Add, change, or remove parental/rating controls.
  • Request billing information, current balance, last payment, or delinquent amount.
  • Request bill details (CPNI required for Xfinity Voice billing details).
  • Create, change, or remove Authorized Users' Xfinity usernames.
  • Active or suspend Authorized Users' Xfinity usernames.
  • Initiate password reset for Authorized Users' Xfinity usernames (CPNI required).
  • Schedule a trouble call
  • Create or change WiFi password.
  • Create or delete voicemail mailboxes (CPNI required).
  • Disconnects.
  • Transfers.
  • PPV requests.
  • Line-of-business products and services (credit verification may be required).
  • Add/Remove Equipment, including at Service Centers (Valid photo ID required for pick up and swap orders).
    • New connects that are already established/pending in the biller
    • Upgrades
    • Downgrades
    • Swaps
    • Disconnects
  • A documented authorized user with a valid ID may pick up equipment on behalf of the account holder at a Comcast Service Center - including equipment for a pending new connect/restart order. Only the account holder can establish or place an order for new service.
  • Self-Install Kit (SIK) tracking information.
  • Accept and agree to a Minimum Term Agreement (MTA).

The primary user gets access to everything on our online portal, such as bills, etc.

Secondary user is just an extra email slot, username login, etc. 

These types of users are only for online situations. The account holder and authorized users deal with sensitive account changes/info. 

Contributor

I just signed in as my wife, looked at "users" and I see that I'm what they call an "unrestricted secondary."  What does that mean?

Official Employee

AI8041, That means you can view bills online. 

Contributor

@ComcastMartin wrote:

AI8041, That means you can view bills online. 

When we dumped ATT DSL last year and get X1 I was able to go tot he retail store and pick the DVR boxes and the Arris gateway without any problem. 

Maybe we'll just leave my wife as the account holder and I'll log in as her and make me a 'primary' via this:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/change-your-primary-account-user

and that should be good enough until she is well enough for the phone call or go to the store. I don't know why you make it so difficult but I guess you have your reasons. 

Thanks for your help. I do appreciate it.

Official Employee

Al8041, this is done for security of our customers account. If you have any other questions, please let us know! Have a great rest of your weekend.