Community Forum

Cannot get poor signal strength fixed

Frequent Visitor

Cannot get poor signal strength fixed

I have had Comcast internet and TV at my current location for less than two years.  I have had nothing but problems with both the TV and internet which I believe is due to a weak signal coming into my house.  I have been so disgusted with Comcast's lack of customer service, that I decided to just limp along with poor internet and TV service.  However, I found this forum and thought it might be an avenue to get my problem fixed.  Twice I have had technicians out to my house and twice I have been billed for "in home" service, when fundamentally the problem is a weak signal coming into my house.  The last technician to visit told me the signal was weak coming into my house, but there was nothing he could do about it.  He said he had put a work order in to upgrade the equipment in the comcast utility box by the street, but nothing has been done to the comcast equipment.  Several times a month my cable TV service goes out.  I have looked at the signal strength using the X1 diagnostic page and the signal is usually only 1 to 1.5 dB within the acceptable range.  The signal strength varies, so when it dips 1-2 dB I lose cable TV service.  Resetting my X1 box does not help.  My internet is also very poor.  I almost always get less than 10 Mbps download speed when I am paying for 75 Mbps.  Is there a way I can get Comcast to fix the signal strength coming into my house?

Contributor

Re: Cannot get poor signal strength fixed

Faulty Cable?

Frequent Visitor

Not inside the house.  During the two technician visits they checked everything inside the house.  Both times the techs said the signal was weak coming to the house.  They replaced a splitter in one visit and repair a connection in the other.  After their work the internet and cable TV were "working" so they were good to go.  I will add I do not believe the splitter needed to be replaced.  Finally, I have no idea if the buried cable from the utility box the house is bad, but if so, that is Comcast's responsbility to fix.

Official Employee

Hello rocketman9, I ran some tests on your signal coming from the plant in your area and I don't show anything in the neighborhood that would be causing your signal to be weak. This mean the issue is more than likely at the pole or inside of your home, when the techs were on site did they replace your modem or bring their own to test on your network? 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

ComcastAmir, First of all, thanks for your interest in my Comcast issues.

I have my own modem and the technician did not try a different modem.  The modem I am using is a Motorola ARRIS SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem (SB6121) which I purchased and put into service April 2014.  This modem was on the Comcast list of recommended modems at the time.  I will also add that I occasionally get 70 Mbps or more, but it happens <5% of the time when I run a speed test.  This morning the download speed was 7-8 Mbps for 3 separate devices, 2 on wifi and 1 using wired ethernet.  Finally, the last technician I had out to my house indicated my weak signal was due to equipment at in the utility box by the street that needed to be replaced.

Official Employee

rocketman9, thank you for providing this information. I can get someone out to your home to look at the utility box outside and correct the problem, first I will need to verify your account information. can you please send me a private message with your full name, street address, and account number? 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Official Employee

rocketman9 wrote: The problem has not occurred again.  Do you believe a visit from a technician is still needed?  If so, then Tuesday afternoon (2/13) works for me.

Thank you for that information, if the issue has not returned then no tech is required. Have a good day.