Community Forum

Cancellation fee

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Cancellation fee

I was forced to cancel my xfinity service after I moved to an area where Comcast does not currently service. The employee at the service center confirmed this, cancelled my account, and I just received a bill with a $220 cancellation fee. Surely this is a mistake. I’d like to get it resolved ASAP and honestly can’t find a way to contact someone on the phone to discuss, so trying this forum as an option. The chat not could not help unfortunately.
Highlighted
Expert

Re: Cancellation fee

@Matt1233345 wrote:
I was forced to cancel my xfinity service after I moved to an area where Comcast does not currently service. The employee at the service center confirmed this, cancelled my account, and I just received a bill with a $220 cancellation fee. Surely this is a mistake. I’d like to get it resolved ASAP and honestly can’t find a way to contact someone on the phone to discuss, so trying this forum as an option. The chat not could not help unfortunately.

If you were in a contract and you canceled your service, and you moved to an area where Comcast doesn't service, you were charged an early termination fee.  It is a valid charge and was in your contract.  You were the one effectively breaking the contract by moving into an area Comcast doesn't service.

Correct information on Early Termination Fees can be found here.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Well that ridiculous. Pretty dumb business model. Looks like you are correct so I will pay the $220 but can confidently say I won’t go back to comcast again. Pretty shortsighted, you could get that money back in just a few months of a new contract.
Highlighted
Official Employee

@Matt1233345 wrote:

Apologies for this experience. As a courtesy, I have removed the Early Termination Fee and the remaining balance on your account. There is now a zero balance on this account. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!