Community Forum

Cancel Service Due to Death of Account Holder

Highlighted
New Poster

Cancel Service Due to Death of Account Holder

The person who has an account for service died two days ago.  I am handling his affairs now and need to have his service removed.  I got nowhere with any of the chat or other robotic nonsense that we have to deal with now.

If I cannot have this done professionally and in a timely manner with resolution then further bills from Comcast will not be paid and this will be reported to authorities.  This Coronavirus is no excuse for the type of inept service we have to deal with.  The chat is generic and does not give options related to closing an account due to death or any other reason.  The text message Comcast sent also did nothing.  I know it's a Sunday, but I have more important things to do next week because this death was unexpected and funeral arrangements are more priority.

There is no excuse for this especially in cases like this.  All of his accounts including Comcast must be disconnected immediately.  I need to know if I need to show proof in the form of a death certificate so I can order one if necessary, or can I send a PDF scan of it.  My time is more timely than Comcast's because this a real person who has died not a Comcast robot.

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Cancel Service Due to Death of Account Holder

@gbowser66 

Yes, you will need a copy of the death certificate.  I'm very sorry for your loss.

Your issue has been escalated to the Comcast Team available to the Forums. A member of that team will reply to your post as quickly as they are able, so check back often.

In the meantime, please do not send a PM to an Official Employee unless requested because it is against the Forum Guidelines and the Acceptable Use Policy. You can read about our PM Policy here.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Official Employee

Hello, gbowser66! Welcome to the Xfinity Forums.

Above all else, you have our deepest condolences for your loss. Having to handle all of someone else's affairs during such a time is difficult enough as it is and I would love to work with you to get this taken care of as quickly and easily as possible. Please send me a private message with your first and last name, as well as the account holders and their service address.

To send a private message, click my name "ComcastTambrey", then click "send a message".

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

I already talked to a Comcast employee last Monday (April 6) and I was told because my name is already on the account and has been prior to his death, then they could keep the account in his name.  I was told a death certificate was not needed when I asked on the phone so somebody needs to clarify this.  I don't want to hear it from an "expert" who is not related to Comcast/Xfinity because what might have been the standard before may no longer be what is required now.  However, I can send a death certificate if I am officially requested to do so.  The problem is there's a hold up at the hospital for some reason and they have not released an official death certificate.  The funeral home person is working with the hospital, but did provide me with the unofficial copy.  So, as usual, delays but that's typical in Pittsburgh where incompetence is common.