Community Forum

Can I use a non voice modem on my tripple play service?

New Poster

Can I use a non voice modem on my tripple play service?

I recently upgraded my service to a tripple play because it was less expensive than upgrading my internet/tv services.  I really don't need the voice or plan to use it.  My current modem has reached its EOL and cant handle the speed increase.  Can I buy the Zoom 16x4 Cable Modem, 686 Mbps DOCSIS 3.0, Model 5370 and activate it?  I bought the Arris TG862G/CT from Best Buy but the firmware does not have the option to set it in bridge mode and Comcast will not set it from their end.  I have my home network set up the way I like it on my router and just need a path to the internet.

Expert

Re: Can I use a non voice modem on my tripple play service?

You shouldn't have any issues getting your TG862G into bridge mode. The firmware is pushed by Comcast. I can ask someone to help you with that if you like. You could also keep the TG862G as your telephony modem and use the Zoom for internet only.

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
New Poster

I was on the phone all morning Sunday between Comcast and Arris.  3 different Comcast reps said they couldnt do anything since it is a customer owned modem.  If you could get the bridged version of the the provisioning file pushed that would be fantastic. 

Expert

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply soon.

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
New Poster

Thanks Nerdburg

Admin1

Hi Accrable -- You can use a non-voice modem with Triple Play service however you also need a voice modem to get the service active and working. As nerdburg suggests, you can use your TG862G as a voice only modem and continue using your Zoom for Internet only. We would not be able to help get your customer owned voice modem into bridge mode as we do not run that kind of support for purchased modems. 

New Poster

My ARRIS TG 862G módem was purchsed  by me and installed by comcast in 2016.Today i am told it does not support Voice service.