Community Forum

Can I remotely turn off my cable tv

New Poster

Can I remotely turn off my cable tv

Multiple TVs in home. Is there a way to turn off cable TV, even if temporary?
Official Employee

Re: Can I remotely turn off my cable tv

Hello Joloco1. Are you referring to our  Seasonal Convenience Plan where you can temporarily put your XFINITY TV, Internet and Voice on hold while you're away?

If not, please provide more information or an example about your request.

New Poster

No, actually interested turning off one or all cable TVs in house remotely. Example: if do not want children watching tv.

Know I can do that with phones and internet devices, but does xfinity offer that option with TVs?

Official Employee

Joloco1 wrote: No, actually interested turning off one or all cable TVs in house remotely. Example: if do not want children watching tv. Know I can do that with phones and internet devices, but does xfinity offer that option with TVs?

There is no function on the app or website for you to turn off the TV remotely. You can use your TV functions to set a sleep timer, but Comcast cable boxes do not have the ability to turn the TV off remotely without using an actual remote even in that case the remote is controlling the TV and not the cable box. 

New Poster

FEATURE REQUEST!  You are not the only parent who wants this ability.  There is far too much content on cable that can't be 'smart filtered' out while leaving kids at home with a TV.  And, just taking the remote away doesn't work if the TV has channel controls on the body of the unit.  It seems ludicrous in some sense that there is no way to do this.  I get that it would take development effort but it seems a fundamental option for xFi.  Please take a poll of xFinity parents.. !

What also would be nice for parents would be a way to manage the Guide through the xfinity website interface and select channels to turn off/on.

Thanks

New Poster

Yes I want this feature to because if the kids aren't doing their chores then I want to be able to shut off the TV remotely. Likewise if they get their stuff done I'd to be able to turn it back on remotely. Please add this feature!!