Community Forum

Call from unknown Comcast Number

Highlighted
New Poster

Call from unknown Comcast Number

We set up a new account yesterday to have services activated next month. Last night I received a call from a number that was unknown after conducting a google search. They claimed to be Comcast and wanted to verify information about my new setup. They knew my address, the date of installation, and my name. They wanted to verify additional information but I declined. The number matches the area code of my phone number, and when I call it back, it sounds like individuals are on a cell phone, answering as Comcast. The number is 618-216-6462. My assumption is that it's a spoofed/fake number. I contacted Comcast through their online chat, and the agent at first said the number was not familiar, and that he would contact his supervisor to check another tool. He came back saying the number is valid. I saved the transcript of the conversation.

Is it customary for Comcast to use spoofed numbers to contact its clients to verify information?

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Call from unknown Comcast Number

@armygreens wrote:

We set up a new account yesterday to have services activated next month. Last night I received a call from a number that was unknown after conducting a google search. They claimed to be Comcast and wanted to verify information about my new setup. They knew my address, the date of installation, and my name. They wanted to verify additional information but I declined. The number matches the area code of my phone number, and when I call it back, it sounds like individuals are on a cell phone, answering as Comcast. The number is 618-216-6462. My assumption is that it's a spoofed/fake number. I contacted Comcast through their online chat, and the agent at first said the number was not familiar, and that he would contact his supervisor to check another tool. He came back saying the number is valid. I saved the transcript of the conversation.

Is it customary for Comcast to use spoofed numbers to contact its clients to verify information?

There are many calls like these "phishing" for information. Never give out information. We all get calls like that. They can spoof any number they wish. No comany, or government office, is safe from these type calls. There is no way for any type of business to stop this.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

My concern are how did they get all my information, along with the service start date and equipment arrival date, that were all accurate?
Highlighted
Expert

@armygreens wrote:
My concern are how did they get all my information, along with the service start date and equipment arrival date, that were all accurate?

Someone may have been hacked. Comcast or you.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
New Poster

Which raises my concern even more.
What’s confusing is Comcast eventually said the call was valid, after initially saying the number wasn’t known — this was done through the website chat. I just ended a conversation with someone at the corporate office through their Facebook messenger that said there wasn’t any record of me being contacted by Comcast. So was the initial agent lying to cover a potential breach of information? Or perhaps just looking for an easy way out of the conversation.

The number above is still being answered, but you can definitely tell it’s a spoofed number.

I have a number to contact tomorrow during business hours, and am curious to know what they find out. Wonder what type of recourse I can have if my information was breached by Comcast fault.
Highlighted
Expert

Maybe this link below might answer your last question:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Customer-Service/Nonpublished-name-and-number-published-by-mistake/m-p...