Community Forum

Cable outlet installation

New Poster

Cable outlet installation

We recently purchased a old renovated home in Sunnyvale, California. Surprisingly, there isn't any cable outlet in the entire home.

Can Comcast tech install cable outlet as part of the installation or do I need to get an electrician to do the job? 

Thanks.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Cable outlet installation

If it were my house, I would call a local electrician to cable the house the way you want it. Then get Comcast to connect to that.

Problem Solver

May also want to check distance away from nearest Pole with Comcast service.

Expert

canary76 wrote:

Can Comcast tech install cable outlet as part of the installation or do I need to get an electrician to do the job? 

The techs will run new lines as part of the installation process, it's pretty standard stuff they do all day long. How they run the lines depends entirely on your home's construction and of course where you want the lines to go. I'd let the tech come out and they will explain to you exactly what they plan to do before they get started (or they should anyhow). If you need or prefer special work done such as fishing a line through the wall to another floor, they will probably tell you to hire an electrician for that, although some Comcast systems have contractors that do that type of work. 

Being both a former tech and an electrician I can tell you that most electricians have no idea how cable works and don't do a great job running coax. If you choose to hire an electrician, make sure:

1) They understand coax has a minimum bending radius.

2) They don't run outlets in series.

3) They don't install connectors (cable guys will just cut them off and use their own).

4) They should not install any splitters - each room should be on its own line and should run back to a central location, preferably near the main electrical service box. 

5) They should use quad shield RG6.

6) No wire staples and fasteners should not be spaced in regular intervals

Comcast will run the new lines as part of the installation fee. Depending on how many outlets you have the fee is generally in the $100 range for the entire job. I don't know what electrician rates are in you area, but I charge $120 to run each outlet. If cost is a major consideration for you, let Comcast do it. 

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Problem Solver

canary76,

You can have your local electrician install the outlets for you or Comcast can install at the time of service installation. When scheduling the service installation, make sure to let them know you will need the outlets installed at the same time. If you have any further questions do not hesitate to reach back out to us.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

The Xfinity tech came out to install two outlets one on each side of the same wall and would not put in outlet boxes. All he said is that they don't fish wires anymore. So he proceeded to drill holes in the floor to poke the wires through. Don't know what he would have done if the basement was finished. Seems like a pretty hoaky kind of installtion. Had to install the boxes myself and pay comcast to drill holes in my floor. Which I hadn't sign a contract for this stupid company. I'll be back to satellite as soon as possible.

Official Employee

Hello m1baker, the information that the tech gave you about wall fishing is correct. We cannot put the cable in your walls anymore, but we can bring the correct amount of coax needed to execute this task. You would have to hire a contractor to put the cable inside of your walls.