Community Forum

Cable drop not grounded, lightning took out equipment.

Frequent Visitor

Cable drop not grounded, lightning took out equipment.

So the cable installer when he did the cable run said it must enter the house next to power meter so it can be grounded. Makes perfect sense, when you actually finish the job and ground the run that is.

Lightning storm hit us, surge came through coax run and cost us a cable modem (my personal one, not rented) and to top it off our cable drop is still coming from a run that was supposed to be moved to a pedestal they installed in our front yard.

So nobody moved our drop to our own pedestal and it still runs across the street to a neighbors back yard and attaches to their pole. This run is 400+ foot. I prefer it be moved to our pedestal. I prefer it be properly grounded too.

The Modem will not power on, network cable still works that it was attached to, power supply still works and powers other 12v devices. The modem was definitely hit through the ungrounded coax run. All equipment in my network cabinet is on surge protection. No other equipment so far is damaged. It didn't hit my cable card tuner because I installed the modem closest to the split. Otherwise I would probably have lost my tuner.

I would like someone to contact me that can get things taken care of. Our run is supposed to be to our pedestal in our front yard. The run should be grounded. Someone needs to replace my modem.
Expert

Re: Cable drop not grounded, lightning took out equipment.

It's not technically a ground but rather a bond between the coax and your home's electrical system. The idea is to equalize the electrical potential between the two systems, not protect from lightning strikes/power surges. If you want lightning protection, you need a 75 Ohm surge protector.

With that said, if the installation was not done correctly, Comcast will probably replace your modem for you. I'll ask an employee to help you file a damage claim and get that line installed correctly. 

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

The Forums stick this horrible banner after all my posts automatically. I'm sorry.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Long long story short... see my other forum posts later if you want.

skipping technically correct terms as most people tend to use bond vs ground vs earthing incorrectly anyways.

As everyone should already know these are third party contractors.

The installer and I specifically discussed installing surge protection with a surge protector. I asked how he would ground it and he said buried steel bar(rebar). So really it would be earthed directly vs grounding to something else that is earthed (see point one, skip technical accuracy and just play along lol)

He left the job and said someone else would come back later to finish.

I never even thought about it again because he said they didnt need me home to finish.

I also knew they were running line for a new pedestal and a new one was going in my front yard. I figured by finish, he meant someone will be back when pedestal is ready to connect my run to it and finish grounding the surge protector.

I cannot even open the cable box to see what was really installed on the line. It probably just has the MOCA in line. I could probably rig up something to unscrew the box lid but I'm not that concerned at this point and that is technically comcast property lol.

Also note this initial install was done quite a while back and I may be remembering a few details out of order or incorrectly. I definitely remember discussing the Wilson surge protector being installed and properly grounded for equipment protection. Maybe they are not supposed to help with that stuff per comcast installs? The guy may have been just blowing me off or trying to get additional work. Who knows. I just know today, I discovered that run definitely doesn't have surge protection.
Official Employee

Hi @JWGarber27

I can help get the damage claim started for you. In order assist you, please send me a private message verifying your first and last name, street address including city state and zip code, and the full account number or phone number associated with your services. 

To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click private message me. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!