Community Forum

Cable and Internet Signal Leakage and Weird visit.

New Poster

Cable and Internet Signal Leakage and Weird visit.

Cable I have been getting robo calls from comcast about my internet. Usually not a problem, once every few weeks I need to use my app to restart, then it works fine. The cable only durning a storm, I need to restart, etc. Yesterday both go down at the same time and I did not even get up to unplug it when the doorbell rings and it is an Xfinity guy telling me he is there for an appointment. I tell him I never made one and I do tell him my services just went out, but I did not trust to let him in. He works on something, supposedly in the back of the complex and the internet is working. THe cable still is out. I tell him, still not letting him in. He leaves and I go on my app again and a message pops up about signal leakage. I call and make an appointment. They tell me a tech needs to come in and blah blah. I hang up and tell my wife I just made an appointment and then the cable box reboots and goes on. Talk about weird. Or is it my paranoia? LOL anyway about this leakage, is there anything I can purchase on my own to rememdy this, and is it real? What is the impact on my devices because I was going to cancel my cable at the end of the month anyway, but I was going to keep the internet. 

Expert

Re: Cable and Internet Signal Leakage and Weird visit.

Cable over copper is radio (RF). If connectors/wiring/splitters are substandard or damaged they will cause signal leakage. Signal leakage out (egress) can cause problems with over-the-air communications. Signal leakage in (ingress) is unwanted signal (aka noise) and can wreak havoc on the cable system. One bad connector/splitter/wire can put noise on the cable plant, that noise then gets amplified on its way back to Comcast. In this way, one customer can cause problems for many others. 

The tech traced leakage to your house. Since you didn't let him fix it, he probably put a filter on your line.You'll want to get that fixed ASAP. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

What are the ramifications of not getting it fixed? I was going to cancel my cable and keep the blast internet in a few weeks. Does that impact the modem cable as well? Can I do something in leiu of a tech.

Official Employee

cisthebigdog -- With leakage, all services can be degraded (Cable, Internet, Phone). This just means that there could be a bad splitter, cable, outlet in your home. It is recommended that we come and look at this by a technician. I can schedule this for you from here if you would like. To protect the privacy of your account, please send me a private message verifying your full name, street address including city, state, and zip code (and apartment number if one is associated), and the full account number or phone number associated with your services. To send a private message click on my name, then click private message me.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!