Community Forum

Billed for service I was definitely not receiving!!

New Poster

Billed for service I was definitely not receiving!!

So I’ve been paying for the fastest available internet in my area. I live in a small city down the road from one of 7 schools in town so there is no real restriction to what is available to me. I’ve been paying for 75mb download high speed internet since the first day I signed with Comcast. They installed an Arrus ( I think the spelling is correct) modem and provided me with a WI-FI router for free. The average download speed for this modem was about 25-35 mb/s and 5-8 mb/s upload. Not as fast as they say but I figured I had the same as everyone else that paid for this service in my area. About 4 years later ( yah four years...) I received, outta the blue, a brand new gateway from Comcast. I didn’t request one nor really need one as the modem/router combo I was running was perfectly fine no problems the entire time I had it. I was only notified the day before it arrived that I’d be receiving this package. Also I should add that my bill didn’t go up or change in anyway after receiving the gateway and honestly was and still am a little confused on it’s arrival. However upon installing this gateway and getting it set up I tested its connection..... yah that’s when I found out I had been getting ripped off the past four years. My statistics with the new hardware are as follows 80-120 mb/s download speed 10-14 mb/s upload speed and a latency that goes as low as 16ms and as high as 60ms ( haven’t seen higher than that yet). Now I’m not complaining about the update to my modem but I am a little frustrated that I’ve been paying for this service all along only to be actually using it four years after it’s purchase. Now I’ve paid numerous bills that were falsely stating my service because obviously I was not receiving the fastest service available. I know this unit isn’t a brand new modem because I’ve seen the same gateway in friends/family’s households but never though anything of it. Has this happened to anyone else? And Comcast I know you’re reading this and I would really appreciate a response to this telling me why I’ve been misled for so long and what can be done to fix the fact that I was being severely overcharged for a service I wasn’t receiving until four years after it’s intended implementation. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!!