Community Forum

Big issue with account sign-up process

New Poster

Big issue with account sign-up process

I wanted to share an experience I had last night in trying to become an Xfinity customer in the hopes of trying to get this resolved. This is still an open issue so any help by the Comcast/Xfinity gurus out there is much appreciated.  I'm just not sure who to turn to for help on this.

We just moved into a new place and decided to go with Xfinity for Internet, Cable and Phone so we called into the general 1-800 phone number to set up service.  I got ahold of a representative named Sherdina who is apparently based in the Michigan call center. We went through several bundle and deal options and eventually settled on a 2-year commitment plan that bundled 1 Gb internet, the premier cable package, monthly modem rental, and a phone package for a price I was comfortable paying.  We even agreed on the price for installation ($60), a non-published phone number ($2.50), eco-billing, and she removed the DVR to save me $11 since I didn't need it quite yet. I confirmed the price with her and everything that was included in the package four separate times.  She agreed each time, reassured me, and confirmed we were good to go. She even laughed at me on how thorough I was being.  I was happy with the package, was ready to buy, and we proceeded to the check out process.

When we moved to check out Sherdina claimed her computer was slow and she ended up putting me on hold for 25+ minutes - I had no way of communicating with anyone (at one point I thought she hung up on me) and had no idea I would be on hold that long. She was on and off the phone thereafter with various "technical issues" where she claimed her systems were running slow.  When she came back on, she told me the issues were resolved and we could get everything finished and get my installation scheduled.  By this point I had been on the phone for over an hour. Sherdina took all my information, account details, my social security number and I unlocked my credit report so she could run a credit check to complete the account set up. She then put me on hold for another 10 minutes because she claimed she could get me an even better deal and a could get me a  $200 Visa gift card.

After returning to the line, Sherdina sounded flustered and decided to do one last run-down of the charges. I sensed something was wrong...

We were now 1.5 hours into our call.

She added them up quickly as if I would not notice and then told me the estimated monthly charge was $63/month higher than we had discussed for the past 1.5 hours!!!  That's right, by this point I had been on the phone for 1.5 hours. At first she tried to defend this number and told me it was what we had discussed but I reminded her that I had confirmed the charges with her four separate times in the beginning part of the call. I also reminded her we were on a recorded line and anyone could verify it.  She conceded the point and admitted her mistake and told me she misquoted me the price. This was after we agreed to it, after she ran my credit, and while I was just about to give her my credit card inforamtion.

Frustrated, angry and upset I asked to speak to a supervisor.  That took 15 minutes to get someone on the line.  Finally, I spoke to James, the on-duty supervisor in the Michigan call center.

After an 1 hour and 50 minutes into the call James came on the line and we discussed the situation.  I told him what happened and he told me he could not honor the price I was quoted.  He was apologetic but told me he could not override anything and it was out of his hands.  I asked that he escalate further but he said everyone had gone home for the day and there was nothing he could do at the time.

Needless to say I was beyond frustrated. We had agreed to a price many times, Comcast hit my credit report, I had wasted nearly 2 hours, and I felt mistreated and disrespected as a customer. And more than that, what started as a call to I made to give Comcast my business seemed to be quickly degrading into a swirling mess. I am now thinking about taking my business elsewhere out of principle.

James committed to "reaching out to several people" and after hearing my frustration indicated he would "take care of it."  I asked him to specifically explain what he meant by "take care of it" and he indicated he would attempt to get me the price Sherdina had committed to but it would take some time to work through with others he is going to speak to today. I am hopeful this situation is corrected and addressed.

I have tweeted to ComcastCares and sent them a direct message and they replied they would look into it.

James took my email and phone number and indicated he would be in touch today. I have my fingers crossed for a heroic recovery today, but honestly, I am not optimistic.

I was previously an enthusiastic supporter, return customer and willing to commit to Comcast for two years, but after this, I am just not sure.

I understand people make mistakes and do know these things can happen - hey, we're all human. But this situation seems just so aggregious  and is borderline unethical case of bait-and-switch. Had I not confirmed with Sherdina four times, was taking copious notes along the way and was really engaged with what she was saying, I would have just agreed and signed up for a plan I did not intend to buy.

Any advice, guidance or help is appreciated. I will update this thread with the resolution either way and what happens with our friends in the Michigan call center.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Big issue with account sign-up process

Quick follow up with a HAPPY ENDING!

I have been corresponding with the folks at https://twitter.com/comcastcares through direct messaging and they were able to resolve the issue. They were able to get me a price within $7 of the original quoted price. The call center manager (who I still have not heard from) was not able to do that. $7 is close enough for me...  I went ahead and signed up for service and scheduled the install. The rep was even able to waive the $60 install fee!  I think this is a real success story that highlights the value of a dedicated team of people focused on customer satisfaction. I never thought I would get such good and successful service through Twitter but this really worked!  Kudos to the ComcastCares team and my man Andre, who handled the bulk of the communication via Twitter. THANK YOU!!!

Official Employee

Re: Big issue with account sign-up process

Thank you for this awesome update! In addition to Twitter, we also have Facebook, this forum you posted on, and Reddit to help. If you need any further help going forward please reach out to us, we are always here to assist. Thank you again.