Community Forum

Beware of surprise service upgrades that you DIDN'T request

Frequent Visitor

Beware of surprise service upgrades that you DIDN'T request

I got a nice surprise recently from Xfinity. They informed me that my monthly billing was increasing by $109 + associated fees due to my recent upgrade request of adding NHL Center Ice to my service. The only problem is, I never requested any kind of change to my service. In fact, I'm not even a hockey fan and never watch hockey on TV. It seems like they just picked my name out of the hat and added this to my service.

What really frustrates me is not only that this happened ( I'll give them the benefit of doubt that this was a mistake and not deliberate), but when I called them about it, they said they made a note on my bill to refund me this amount, but that I still needed to pay an extra $127 for this month's and that I would have this amount taken off of my next bill. In other words, I need to give them free use of my money for a month due to their mistake, rather than just taking this off my current bill and have me pay just my normal bill (I haven't changed my service in over a year).

To say that I'm a tad frustrated is an understatement. This coupled with other recent changes to the website (i.e. not being able to program your DVR from the website) is not making me a very happy customer at the moment.

Expert

Re: Beware of surprise service upgrades that you DIDN'T request

That's odd, certainly not normal. The remote recording thing is due to a lawsuit over the technology to record remotely. My understanding is that its removal is intended to be temporary. Anyhow...

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Official Employee

Hi Primafacie, apologies that this was added to your account without your approval. I can look into this for you, could you please send me a private message with your account information (your name, address and account number).

Thank you

Frequent Visitor

I'm happy to report that I got a notification yesterday that they removed the extra charge for NHL Center Ice from my bill, rather than having to pay and then get a refund a month later. This is not what I was told would happen from the customer service rep I spoke to, so it was a pleasant surprise. Thank you for your response to my post ComcastPhil and willingness to help.  I appreciate it a lot. I think I'm good now that they took that charge off of my bill.

Frequent Visitor

Hi ComcastPhil,

Again, I want to thank you for being in here and for answering my post so quickly. As I last reported, I was reimbursed for the mistaken addition of a service (NHL Center Ice) and refunded the $109.96 they charged for the service. That being said, I did notice something else on the bill that still isn't right. Apparently, in calculating my bill with the NHL Center Ice service, it also included a PPV Franchise fee of $6.25 that I suspect is connected with this service (and not present on any of my other bills). I also noticed that the sales tax also seemed to be based on including the 109.96, since it increased from the normal 10.60 to 21.35 - an increase of $17. If I subtract the $17 from the bill that included the 109.96 credit, it comes out exactly to the penny of my normal monthly bill.

While I'm not holding my breath about getting this reimbursed as well, I wanted to bring this to your attention so you can get this information back to the appropriate Comcast parties in case this happens again for other people. I actually don't think it is worth the effort on my part to try to recoup the $17 at this point (based on the effort it took to get the original mistake corrected). Again, please note that the mistake of adding this service was totally on Comcast (i.e. I didn't order it and then changed my mind). I just think it isn't right that Comcast should benefit from this mistake, even if it is only $17. It's the principle of the thing.

Again ComcastPhil, thanks for listening and trying to help. I appreciate you.  Hopefully someone else can benefit from what happened to me.

Official Employee

Hello Primafacie. I can assist with reviewing the excessive taxes and fees you were billed for. Please send me a private message and include your full name, service address, and account number so I can assist you.