Community Forum

Basic super triple play questions

Frequent Visitor

Basic super triple play questions

My old triple play plan is expiring, and today I signed up for the Super Triple Play package. I’m was offered the package at $174.99+, not the lower-cost promotions I’ve seen mentioned here. I had a number of setup questions that the rep said would be handled during the tech visit, so I'm trying to find the answers before my appointment.

- Current TV setup is a Tivo box + a Tivo mini in another room. I’m happy with the picture quality etc and don't want to re-program all my shows to record. I was told I could keep my equipment if I wanted, I just wouldn't have the 4K picture or Netflix streaming. (Is that true about Netflix?) If I did go with the Xfinity box, I would start incurring a rental fee, right? And what about second room setup with the 4K box? Is there a compelling reason to switch to the Xfinity box?

- Current internet set up is a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 (24x8) DOCSIS 3.0 (modem/router combo) AND an Arris Touchstone DOCSIS 30 Cable Modem and router, model TG862G/CT. Are the best options for replacement modems the Netgear DOCSIS 3.1 Gig cable Modem, CM1000 and an Arris SURFboard SB8200? I like to have my own equipment and not rent. And just realized I would need a new router as well to support the higher speeds, correct?

A tech is coming out next week to look at my hardware and make sure everything is compatible. Not sure why that has to happen if I can set it up myself? Will the tech be making any hardware changes?

Thanks for any tips/advice, etc. I hadn't heard of the service before today, and now I'm trying to figure out what exactly I signed up for.

Expert

Re: Basic super triple play questions

@bruhahaha wrote:

- Current TV setup is a Tivo box + a Tivo mini in another room. I’m happy with the picture quality etc and don't want to re-program all my shows to record. I was told I could keep my equipment if I wanted, I just wouldn't have the 4K picture or Netflix streaming. (Is that true about Netflix?) If I did go with the Xfinity box, I would start incurring a rental fee, right? And what about second room setup with the 4K box? Is there a compelling reason to switch to the Xfinity box?

The first X1 TV box is included with the Triple Play. You'd be paying a $10 rental fee with each additional box you have. You wouldn't have to pay the TiVo subscription fee anymore, but you'd lose a lot of the flexibilty and the (IMO) superior interface that TiVo offers. 

The new XG1V4 4k boxes will give you the ability to stream Netflix at 4k, but really, if you have any device like a Roku or Apple TV that you watch Netflix from, you can go that route if you already have a Netflix account. The new plans do give you the convenience of being billed together for your Netflix and Comcast accounts together. 

@bruhahaha wrote:

- Current internet set up is a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 (24x8) DOCSIS 3.0 (modem/router combo) AND an Arris Touchstone DOCSIS 30 Cable Modem and router, model TG862G/CT. Are the best options for replacement modems the Netgear DOCSIS 3.1 Gig cable Modem, CM1000 and an Arris SURFboard SB8200? I like to have my own equipment and not rent. And just realized I would need a new router as well to support the higher speeds, correct?

There's also the highly rated Motorola MB8600 DOCSIS 3.1 modem.Can't go wrong with any of the three. 

I'm not sure why you have two gateways with your service, but certainly you'd have to upgrade your equipment if you're looking to get gigabit internet. Since you have voice service as part of the Triple Play package, you need to either lease the Comcast XB6 gateway, or you'll have to activate two separate modems - one for internet and one for voice. (There are currently no Comcast approved retail DOCSIS 3.1 voice modems).

You can keep the TG862G for the voice part, and get a DOCSIS 3.1 modem for internet.  My current setup is an ARRIS SB8200 (Gigabit Internet), ARRIS TM722G (voice only), ASUS RT-AC88U (router) and it works really well. 

@bruhahaha wrote:

A tech is coming out next week to look at my hardware and make sure everything is compatible. Not sure why that has to happen if I can set it up myself? Will the tech be making any hardware changes?

Comcast usually has a tech perform a professional install if there's gigabit service included, to make sure everything will work as planned. Really helped in my case, since the tech found a few line issues (bad splitter, corroded fittings)  that would've severely degraded my internet speed. 

Good luck and congratulations on your purchase!

"The one thing that you have that nobody else has is you. Your voice, your mind, your story, your vision. So write and draw and build and play and dance and live as only you can." - Neil Gaiman
Frequent Visitor

Re: Basic super triple play questions

This is incredibly helpful - thank you SO much Smiley Happy