Community Forum

Bait and switch for comcast internet?

New Poster

Bait and switch for comcast internet?

So I purchased comcast internet last night. Was promised 100mbps at $44.99. Confirmed it with 2 sales reps mulitple times. There was a 25mbps for $39.99 on-line, but I thought the extra $5 was worth it for the 100mbps at $44.99. So I gave my verbal confirmation and reviewed the terms and again confirmed that I was getting 100mbps at $44.99.  Fast forward to this morning and my account is saying I only have 25mbps at $44.99. Also checked my download speed with the comcast speed test and its at 25mbps. Called the billing department, then sales department and nobody can do anything about it. Opened a dispute, but they said they'll need to listen to the phone recordings and get back to me once they complete an investigation. Am I out of luck? Do I have any recourse?

Regular Contributor

Re: Bait and switch for comcast internet?

I had recently changed from Internet only to a TV/Internet promo package. My "new" service came with a 30 day period in which I could cance lanytime in that 30 day period and not have to pay any Early termination Fees or anything other than the days I had actually used the service, I decided it was not for me and cancelled in the window and went back to Internet only with no issues. 

If after a phone review your issue is not resolved in your favor, you should able to do this also. They also, as far as I know, offer a 30 day guarantee (see link below) where they will refund any charges if you were not happy with the plan. I did not try to avail myself of this as I chose to try something and believe paying for service during a trial period is the right thing to do (outside of something truly deceitful by the vendor)

https://www.xfinity.com/support/account/comcast-customer-guarantee/

New Poster

Thanks for your reply.  Will I qualify for New customer promotions online if I cancel within 30 days and reapply?  The online options are better than what was offered to me over the phone, but they say they are for new customers only.  

Regular Contributor

I honestly don't know. If I were to guess, I would say no as even a brief usage would disqualify you as a new customer. Good luck.

Official Employee

Hi orangefamily,  thank you for reaching out and apologies for your recent experiences.  I can assist going over current promotions with you and will send you a private message for further information.

Thank you

Official Employee

orangefamily, I'm glad to hear you were able to get this resolved. Post again if you need help! 

New Poster

Happened to me too.

How did you get it resolved?

Received Comcast advert in mail for internet service. Called number on card and signed up for promotion $19.99/mo for two years. Got verbal confirmation over the phone for the same promotion and had internet turned on. Bought approximately $400 in modem/ router equipment. First bill, approx.2 weeks later, was charging $29.99/mo. Called to correct billing error and was told a ticket had already been issued to resolve issue and might take a few weeks. Next bill was $29.99 again. Called to correct billing and was told $19.99 was not available and that $29.99 was the best they could do. Complained to management and was offered a $240 credit to make up the difference. I agreed but the credit was never applied. Called again to resolve issue and was then told after the first year the the monthly bill goes up to $49.99/mo. Asked to have $19.99 honored and was told they would look into the matter. Called at least 12 more times and was told by several different people they would replay the tapes of conversations, make appropriate corrections, and call me back. No one ever called back. Called several more times and was told, it's basically tough luck for me, Comcast sends out many different advertisements for promotion that don't exist only to have consumers call in and ask about them so that Comcast can sell other products. Called several more times and was told by multiple individuals I would receive a call back but was never called back. Called again, spoke with representative (Sherri) who said she would listen to prior conversations and call back. Received a call back from Sherri stating she had listen to 18 (out of approximately 50 calls) and that she never heard any offer for $19.99 or a $240 credit. Sherri later confirmed reading documentation of a credit for $240 being requested but denied, although she refused to listen to that conversation. I asked her if she had listen to the conversation where I signed up for the internet promotion. She said she had and that the female representative did not offer a $19.99 promotion. I explained that it was not a female that offered the promotion but a male and that on acseoerste call the female representative assisted later that same night with setting up the modem and router. I asked Sherri if she would review that conversation and she refused stating she had listened to 18 calls and that was somehow enough. Sheri offered a $120 credit and stated she would close out the investigation if I did not accept it. I refused and asked to speak with her supervisor and requested that the all the relevant phone conversation be listened to. Sherri said she would have her supervisor Myles call me that night or the next day. No one has called. This has been ongoing since Sept. 16, 2017
Official Employee

Hi Mpkelly3231,

Sorry for the experience you've had while trying to get this taken care of. I would like to review your account and make this right for you. Please send me a private message by clicking on my name, "ComcastChe" then click private message me. In the body of this message please verify your first and last name, the phone number, street address, and the account number associated with your services.