Community Forum

Arris TM822 Telephony Moden provided by comcast

New Poster

Arris TM822 Telephony Moden provided by comcast

We recently had sever weather and power outages in our area. Comcast experienced system outages as well. My Arris TM822 is powered from a sine wave inverter with surge protection, voltage regulation and back up battery (no switch over required on loss of power). Area has had low signal issues so there is a nine port comcast installed local power booster. The modem is fed from this power booster as well as our X1 service. The service, internet, and VOIP service have been operating for 2 years with no equipment changes or conponent location changes.

After this power outage the X1 service returned as normal; however, the Arris TM822 can no longer sync to the comcast system. On power up all lights on the front pannel flash once (self check) and then the boot sequence starts with the first indicator to the left of the power light - The DS (down stream) flashes amber then goes to a solid amber, then the second US (up stream) indicator flashes amber and never syncs so it remains flashing - i.e. the modem never syncs to the comcast system and remains off line. Checking the comcast signal booster it's power light is green and no trouble (red led) indicated.

I have tried rebooting the Arris multiple times over a 14 hr period with no success also comcast live chats with the usual questions and answers (check connections, is there a splitter, reboot, etc.) - well we need to send a tech to the house. Went to the local comcast service office- they can offer no help other than we can schedule a technician (same as online support) to come out and look at it for a minimum $60.00 fee which must be preaurthorized before we can schedule a technician. Let me see the modem and signal booster are owned by comcast. I pay a monthly rental for the Arris modem yet I have to pay to have a technician troubleshoot the issue. Every time in the past it has been a week signal or noise on the cable feed to the house keeping the modem from syncing - am I missing something. I am sure this is the protocall work backwards from the device and oh by the way the customer must pay for this.

Comcast has offered to send me a replacement modem - guess what - I am smart enough to know they can't - why - because the Telephone Modem must be brought by a technician and installed/activated by the technician (he does not have to stay on site until it syncs - ive been down this road - call customer service if you have a problem - it should be up in an hour or so - really) - so who is kidding who? Same wen I went to the service center they tried to give me a replacement cable modem (no voip) - even though they can see my service and equipment - I guess there is no way for them to know what is installed even though it is comcast's equipment. They use to be able to boost or check signal quality from the office or maybe they just used feed me a line to get rid of me since there was nothing they could do. Last discussion with a tech indicated that through put did not look so good - so I am assuming degraded signal - they will not say that though.

What am I missing.

Our area had over 3" of rain in a very short period of time - water intrusion can have a significant impact on system performance - don't know how comcast deals with that since many of their lines are burred and a number of their junction box covers are damaged or partialy oppened.

Currently no phone service, no internet, my security cameras, alarm system, fire detection/monitoring system are all down (because no internet or phone service) -  Comcast response - well we are very sorry and understant your issue - however, can't get anyone there for a day os so no one available at the house - nothing we can do until someone is there - and no house calls after 5pm. We do do weekends.

Expert

Re: Arris TM822 Telephony Moden provided by comcast

• Your modem lights are indicating a signal issue. If a tech comes out and finds the issue is Comcast related, you will not be charged for the visit. If the issue is related to your wiring, then that would generate a service charge. 
  • There is no reason you can't swap the modem on your own. Comcast should replace it at your request.
  • Pedestals/security boxes are security devices. Everything in them is designed to be exposed to the elements.

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

I am a volunteer Expert/Moderator, not an employee.

Official Employee

Re: Arris TM822 Telephony Moden provided by comcast

Hello MarkTag. What nerdburg has stated is correct. I can assist with further troubleshooting your service issues. I can schedule a tech visit as well. Please send me a private message and include your full name and account primary phone number so I can access your equipment.