Community Forum

Are you allowed to use 2 owned modems on same account one for Voice and the other for Internet?

Regular Contributor

Are you allowed to use 2 owned modems on same account one for Voice and the other for Internet?

I have used my owned Arris TM822G for both Voice and internet for the last 3+ years and so today I went the 2 modem route and had a Motorola MB8600 activated. The new modem activated just fine and both internet and phone are working just fine. And both modems are showing on my device list on comcast.net web site.

However when I was on the phone with the Comcast Rep who was very nice by the way he said he was having issues getting the new modem on my account. And this was after it was already working and showing on the device list too. So I am all good on my end because internet and phone are working great but the Comcast rep says it must be added to the account and he was not seeing the new modem onthe account. So after waiting a pretty long time on the phone he comes back and tells me he talked to his supervisor or something and they told me customers are only allowed to have one owned modem per account. And both he and of course I were very confused by this. Anyway to make a long story short he said even though it's working now he could not guarantee that it will continue to work beyond a few days.

So what's the deal here am I allowed to use 2 owned modems one for Voice only and the other for internet or not?

As I said both are currently working just fine but if the Comcast rep I talked to is right and it does stop working at some point then I could get stuck with a second modem that I am not allowed to use. I got it at Bestbuy and they only have like a 15 or 30 day return policy.

Can someone from Comcast please tell me if I am allowed to use 2 owned modems one for internet and one for voice only? And also is threre anyway you can check my account to make sure both modems are on the account so I do not have any problems in the future?

Thanks

Expert

Re: Are you allowed to use 2 owned modems on same account one for Voice and the other for Internet?

You shouldn’t have a problem using one modem for internet and a separate modem for phone. The rep was probably confused because on the internet side it’s different.
Regular Contributor

Re: Are you allowed to use 2 owned modems on same account one for Voice and the other for Internet?

@jweaver0312 wrote:
You shouldn’t have a problem using one modem for internet and a separate modem for phone. The rep was probably confused because on the internet side it’s different.

That what I was thinking to after I got off the phone with him.

The new MB8600 and older TM822 are showing onthe device page at comcast.net and my internet and phone are workibg great so I asume everything is ok. But when the Comcast rep said it may stop workibg after so many days has me a little worried.

Also is there anyway to tell if my TM822 was provisioned for voice only? And would it be true that if the TM822 was not provisioned for voice only then the MB8600 would not have been able to be activated? I hate having to call Comcast because they can really be clueless at times not this guys though as he said he has only been working for Comcast for like 3 weeks.

-2147483625.jpg

Expert

Sorry. Can't see the image you posted.  

1. A Comcast employee would be able to tell you if it is provisioned for voice only. They should be able to see it on their side on the system how its provisioned. 

2. I'll use my story to answer that question. I personally sed to have 2 modems, one active for internet only and their gateway actiavted for internet and voice. It worked for 4 months and then internet on the one device was shut off. I called in and first the rep said, "Im not usre why youre having an issue" She then looked and said due to revenue department policy, one modem per one internet subscription no matter if it is their device or your device. If the 822 wasn't provisioned for voice only the MB8600 could still actiavte. My story here shows it can still work however it is not supposed to remain active that way. If they did provision it for both internet and voice, when an audit gets done it will be corrected so that only one is still on for internet and the other one for voice. The rep informed me that if you had two modems active with one being internet only and the other being internet and voice, they normally will just take the internet off of the internet and voice modem and make it voice only but if you had two internet only modems then they would just deactivate one of them. 

Official Employee

Hello @gate1975mlm. In many areas, two modems are allowed in the scenario you described. I can verify and check your account in your case. To get started, please send me a private message and include your full name, service address, and account number so I can access your account. 

Regular Contributor

Hi ComcastJoeTru,

How do you send a private message?

When I click on your name I see Send a message but after I click that it opens up a new page but there is nowhere to enter anything.

I have tried both Chrome and Edge browsers.

Thanks

Expert

Make sure you are signed in prior to clicking send a message. If you are not signed in it will result in a page that would look like what you just saw.
Regular Contributor

@jweaver0312 wrote:
Make sure you are signed in prior to clicking send a message. If you are not signed in it will result in a page that would look like what you just saw.

I am signed in how else could I have posted this message?

Expert

Works fine for me on Chrome, Firefox, Edge, and Explorer. Don’t know what’s happening.
Regular Contributor

I just tried IE and it does not work in that either

I wil try my phone or ipad next but this is crazy Smiley Sad  lol

Regular Contributor

Ok I just tried it on my phone with chrome browser and samething is happening!

I give up Smiley Sad

Regular Contributor

Alright since I can not figure out how to send a private message I ended up just called Comcast and luckly I got someone right away.

Anyway to make a long story short the Comcast agent looked over my account and he confirmed that the Arris TM822G is properly setup for voice and also the Motorola MB8600 is properly set up for internet and both showing that I own them.

So I am all good Smiley Happy

Official Employee

Apologies for my delay in getting back to you, gate1975mlm. Glad to hear you were taken care of. Normally, to send a private message, click my name (ComcastJoeTru) and click Private Message Me.