Community Forum

Approved Cable Modem Issue

New Poster

Approved Cable Modem Issue

Six months ago I moved to a new home and as part of the process decided to switch over to Comcast for my Internet and TV.  As part of the sign up process I was presented with the option to either rent a cable modem from Comcast or to purchase my own from an approved list.  Since I intend to have the service for many years to come I went with the purchase option.  I picked up an Arris SURFboard SB2800 from Amazon for $189.00.  This was clearly identified as one of the approved modems so I had no concerns going that route.  When the Comcast service was delivered I was able to get everything up and running with no issues.  However as time went on we constantly experienced losses in Internet connectivity.  I did extensive troubleshooting and narrowed the cause down to the modem.  At this point I contacted Comcast customer support to work with them further to fix the issue.  I worked with them on a series of steps and tests.  Fairly quickly during the troubleshooting process they took a stance that since it's not a modem I was renting through Comcas and therefore they wouldn't assist any further.  I would need to contact the modem manafacturer to pursue the issue any further.  This clearly would be a waste of my time and would not result in a solution.  The only other option they presented was to switch over to the rented modem option for $11.00/month.  Since both my wife and I rely on the Internet for our work we had no choice but to accept the rental option since it was the only guaranteed solution.  Sure enough once the rented modem arrived and was installed the issues ceased which is great.  However in order to get there I wasted $189.00 on a modem, that was certified to work with Comcast, but didn't.  Even worse, now I'm saddled with an $11.00/month charge in perpetuity for a device which I'm quite certain costs Comcast less that $100 to purchase.  My feeling is that Comcast should have either stood by the performance of the modem or don't offer the option in the first place.  It's very misleeding and unfair to the customers.  Are there any avenues for us to pursue a credit for the $189.00 that was outlayed for the modem that I'm not aware of?

Expert

Re: Approved Cable Modem Issue

It sounds like you got a defective device. Return the modem or get it replaced under warranty?

I am not an employee.
Expert

Re: Approved Cable Modem Issue

^ Agreed. As the owner of an SB8200 myself, it's been a solid performer.

Of course Comcast wouldn't cover your modem as you bought it retail. However, ARRIS has a two year warranty on their products, so if you got it through an established retailer like Amazon they should cover your modem.  

Comcast Experts are other customers who volunteer their time helping on the forum and have been recognized by the community. For more information on the Expert Program, please click here.
Unless so specifically stated, my opinions written herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Comcast, its official employees or affiliates.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a regular customer volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!