Community Forum

Any way to establish a second account at same house? (Residential single-family home)

Highlighted
New Poster

Any way to establish a second account at same house? (Residential single-family home)

Hi, all.

I have an internet-only account at a fairly low speed level that is no longer offered and grandfathered in at a fairly low rate (about $50 a month). While it may be a bit outdated, it's always served my limited needs. 

My housemate would like to set up a higher-speed service for his purposes. He used to work for Comcast/Xfinity, and thought he could establish a second line at the same address. The housemate tells me I could potentially put my account on vacation/seasonal mode to lower my own costs without losing my grandfathered contract. 

However, Xfinity is telling me two accounts cannot be established at the same address and that my account must be closed in order for him to establish one.

My conundrum: I do not want to be stuck paying a new setup fee and a higher rate down the road if  I allow my existing account to be closed and then our living situation changes. While saving that $50 a month in the short term might be nice, a new contract could negate that savings pretty quickly, especially if there's a setup fee involved.  

Is there any way to get around this? Can I have him set up separate service by adding Room 1 to the address, or something like that? 

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Any way to establish a second account at same house? (Residential single-family home)

Possibly add Apt B or something similar. Go to a service center and talk to someone in person

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!