Community Forum

Adding new TV box to account (removing old one)

Highlighted
New Poster

Adding new TV box to account (removing old one)

When trying to activate a new TV box, I get the following error on the TV (XRE-00251):

Please give us a call.

We'll need to add this TV Box to your account before it can be activated. Please call 866-512-2218 and well take care of this for you. Once added, select continue to activate 

No one over the phone has been able to help and they've either told me:

1. The box is already tied to the account but the SN on the device and what shows on my account page don't align

2. They send pings to the box to check connectivity (which they say works, but I have no way of knowing).

FWIW - I had the same issue with a new wifi modem as well and xfinity internet was able to help over the phone by getting the device added to my account and confirming things were good. Why can't the TV division just do the same?

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Adding new TV box to account (removing old one)

@johntdombzalsk3 wrote:

When trying to activate a new TV box, I get the following error on the TV (XRE-00251):

Please give us a call.

We'll need to add this TV Box to your account before it can be activated. Please call 866-512-2218 and well take care of this for you. Once added, select continue to activate 

No one over the phone has been able to help and they've either told me:

1. The box is already tied to the account but the SN on the device and what shows on my account page don't align

2. They send pings to the box to check connectivity (which they say works, but I have no way of knowing).

FWIW - I had the same issue with a new wifi modem as well and xfinity internet was able to help over the phone by getting the device added to my account and confirming things were good. Why can't the TV division just do the same?

drop by your local store. they may have instructions on their door on how to use their curbside service. swapping out the box should fix the account issue and allow you to activate the replacement set top box.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Adding new TV box to account (removing old one)

I’m having the same XRE-00251 error for the past 8 days. Old box that’s been working for 5 yrs suddenly has this error. Even after changing the cable box still the same error.