Community Forum

Activating a new Extreme Pro Modem

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Activating a new Extreme Pro Modem

Hope someone at Xfinity reads this.  Just changed my plan to Signature Triple Play and got the new Extreme Pro modem.  Was told there is a special number to call to activate the modem, 1 800 OK Begin.  Tried to call on my Xfinity VOIP phone and got the message that that number is only for new customers.  Tried to call on my cell phone, the number for which is from my previous state, and got the meesage that the number I was calling could not be reached from my location, or something like that.  Would up just calling 800 Xfinity and got it activated. Second issue it the advertisement that Extreme Pro was going to give me this great 500 or 600 Mbps download speed.  I ran a speed test early this morning and got 45 Mbps.  Ran one again at noon and got about 28 Mbps.  I know the issue is that the lines in our neighborhood can't really support the hight speeds, but it bugs me that you adverise I will get those speeds.  Fortunately, I don't really need anything higher than what I'm getting, but people need to know those advertised speeds are not real.

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Activating a new Extreme Pro Modem

@WatchOnDemand wrote:

Hope someone at Xfinity reads this.  Just changed my plan to Signature Triple Play and got the new Extreme Pro modem.  Was told there is a special number to call to activate the modem, 1 800 OK Begin.  Tried to call on my Xfinity VOIP phone and got the message that that number is only for new customers.  Tried to call on my cell phone, the number for which is from my previous state, and got the meesage that the number I was calling could not be reached from my location, or something like that.  Would up just calling 800 Xfinity and got it activated. Second issue it the advertisement that Extreme Pro was going to give me this great 500 or 600 Mbps download speed.  I ran a speed test early this morning and got 45 Mbps.  Ran one again at noon and got about 28 Mbps.  I know the issue is that the lines in our neighborhood can't really support the hight speeds, but it bugs me that you adverise I will get those speeds.  Fortunately, I don't really need anything higher than what I'm getting, but people need to know those advertised speeds are not real.

If the lines in your neighborhood can't support the higher speeds why would you expect Comcast could deliver them?  Comcast can only give you what your lines can carry. And, why did you purchase a modem like that knowing that your lines couldn't support the modem advertised speed?  Also, are you subscribed to a plan that would give you those speeds, or is your plan for something else?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Activating a new Extreme Pro Modem

I didn't know for sure our lines wouldn't support the higher speeds. I got the plan I did because it had the other features I wanted, not because of the speed it promised. I didn't purchase the modem, it is a rental and replaced the old rental I had.  

I just couldn't believe they are advertising speeds so radically more than they are able to deliver.