Community Forum

$60 installation fee for "failed Self-Install" that said would be waived - NOT!

New Poster

$60 installation fee for "failed Self-Install" that said would be waived - NOT!

I am beyond furious! 

I have been a Comcast/Xfinity Internet and phone customer for years.  I made the stupid mistake of switching my DishNetwork cable tv service to add it to Xfinity and have a “Triple Play” to save some money and get the latest equipment on TV, blablablah.

On the phone when adding the Cable TV service I was offered the Self Install OR the $60 Tech.  Lady said since I had internet/phone it would not be difficult to self-install the cable boxes.  Sunday I picked up the boxes but could not get them to work with an error message on the screen.  After hours on the phone, and no TV (because I had cancelled DISH), and waiting on six or seven “messages to be sent to the boxes” nothing…I was told a Tech would need to come out, but not to worry, since I had the “Service Protection Plan” I would not be responsible for the $60 tech charge. I had to wait until Tuesday to get a Tech out to the house, who had to do rewiring and change the faulty box to get the service finally going after spending 7 hours in the house.  That night I noticed that one of the boxes had issues – fading to black – “something they’ve never heard about before” at Xfinity, so they credited $13.23 for 3 days without service. But the misery is not over.  I get my bill and lo and behold, there is a charge for $60 for the Professional Installation.  I open a Chat – response “call 800 #”, I called the 800 number, and was told “there is nothing on the record about waiving the fee, so it is valid”.  I explained about the faulty box/wiring, agent’s response “Self Install is a risky business, there are risks involved with a self-install”.  I wasn’t warned about that, so I ask for a Manager.  After, of course, a long wait, the Manager’s response “I understand you are disputing the $60 tech charge, and I’m sorry, it is a valid charge as we sent someone to your house”.  I explained the circumstances, and next response was “initially when we sent you a text you said yes so you agreed to the terms and conditions that mentioned the charge, so the charge is valid” The text was with the work order with the option of self-install for free or $60 tech.  I chose the self-install.  Her answer “charge is valid” and she didn’t care the last Rep I spoke to the same day of the Self-install failure assured I would not have to pay it. 

Do yourself a favor!  DO NOT GET SELF-INSTALL, like that you KNOW you will be responsible for the $60 charge.  OR EVEN BETTER, leave Xfinity! 

Expert

Re: $60 installation fee for "failed Self-Install" that said would be waived - NOT!

I understand why you're aggravated, you got some bad advice. Typically satellite TV and Comcast use the same lines, but they are reconfigured for each service. A professional installation is generally required when switching to and from either provider. And yes, if they send a tech, they charge you a "failed install" fee. This fee covers what would have been your install fee. If they send a tech, they charge a fee. I'll ask an employee if perhaps they can help you out in some way. You should expect a reply in this thread.

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Official Employee

Re: $60 installation fee for "failed Self-Install" that said would be waived - NOT!

Hello malditasea2, if for any reason a tech has to come and complete your installation we charge an installation fee of $60.00. We recommend that you have your services installed by a professional to avoid confusion and to ensure your services are working properly. However I can look into this for you and see if there is anything I can do to help you, please send me a private message with your full name, street address, and account number by clicking on my name (ComcastAmir) and then "private message me".

New Poster

Seems like that's how they are ripping everyone off with this fee. Tricking people into a free self install, only to be told they need a technician for $60. Just happened to me. Told them I'm sending their equipment back to them. Ridiculous