Community Forum

$60 home site visit charge for a tech visit that was requested by Comcast support to fix my internet

Regular Visitor

$60 home site visit charge for a tech visit that was requested by Comcast support to fix my internet

Lets start with Comcast added a $60 in home site visit charge to my account with out telling me of charges and my issue was not fixed on top of it.

Let me start by stating I work in IT and know my way around a network and internet. My home internet was working fine for sometime. Fairly recently I began noticing speed degradation from 100-150Mbs speeds to 2-20mbps. I contacted support and they claimed that my modem could have gone bad and I would need to replcae my modem. I ordered a new $170 Motorola Docsis3.1 MB8600 modem and called back to have them swap my MAC address and setup the new device. After changing out the modem with Comcast, I still had issues. I removed all devices and plugged a laptop directly into the modem and still issues with speeds. The tech stated that at this point I need a tech to visit to see what is going. He stated times he had available and we scheduled the visit.  Move onto tech visit - tech came into home and saw my issues. He said maybe it was the wiring to the building so we went through and re-crimped all cables from inside to out and tried again - still nothing. I asked him to  use his tool to check levels and he stated his IPhone would be able to do this and saw a bit of issues with our levels. We went though the normal trobleshooting process of removing all devices, firewalls and plugged a laptop directly into it and still the same issue. He called a supervisor who I spoke with and still had issues. After a bit the speeds went from 20 -80 and then all over. The supervisor stated that he would watch over this and check on things for a bit as the tech was not able to to anything more. After and hour or so my speeds were still up and down. At this point, I gave up as another site visit would just result in the same thing.

I then received my NOV statement to find a $60 Charge for the site visit! Tech was nice but did not correct my issues! I am paying $190 per month with an extra $15 for internet boost to get only 20Mbps speeds of internet speed. Thats a fifth of what I am paying for. Keep in mind I did also pay for a new cable modem as per the technicains instruction. Then after calling to get support they charged me for the site visit which did not correct my problem.

Yes - this goes on. I called about the charges and the first person on the phone stated that you are always charged for in home visits even if the problem is their fault. I asked where under contract or website this is stated - he was unable to answer. He then said as a courtesy he was able to refund $40 of the charges. I stated I would call back to ask for a supervisor.

I called back and the next rep stated the they fully understand that the problem did not get fixed and that they are sorry BUT the $60 fee is the gas and travel money for the tech and that is Comcast company policy! I again asked where this policy is stated on the website or to send me an email in writing where I can find this charge. She stated cannot. She then said that she would have a supervisor call me back the next day between 9AM-12PM the next day. No one called.

I called again 2 days later and pretty much the same thing. I understand they did not fix your issue but you are still responsible even though no one let you know the site visit was recommeded by Comcast support. This time she tried to state that the charge was in some doc that would be signed after work was complete - which I did not. She said hold to see if she was able to see if that was the case and then came back to state the best she could do was to offer a $20 credit. Even though the first tech was offering $40! I stated please have a supervisor reach me back and was told she can submit a ticket asking for credit and that it would take 5 days and for me to call back then. I told her to submit this and get a call back to me. This is where it was left off.

I am writing now to ask for online support as it apperas ny attempts thought phone support have not gotten me anyhere. Please help me understand how I can be charged a tech visit to fix an internet issue that was not fixed after the tech left?

Highlighted
Expert

Re: $60 home site visit charge for a tech visit that was requested by Comcast support to fix my inte

Hi @yyyi

Sorry to hear about the issues you've been having. To be clear, there is a charge if the tech determines the issues was inside wiring. This should have been made clear to you when you made your appointment.  If the issue was not inside your home, there shouldn't be a charge. Also, it sounds like you live in an apartment? If that's the case you shouldn't be charged for a wiring issue as the landlord would own the wiring, not you. Since the tech didn't resolve your issue, it seems all the more ridiculous to charge you. 

If you would like help from the community or you want to do some troubleshooting on your own...

Start here: Troubleshooting Guide 

If you haven't already, please post your equipment details (make/model of your modem/gateway/router) and a screenshot of your signal levels and your error/event log. Thank you!

Video: How to view power levels and event logs.

FYI: They owe you a $20 credit for every tech visit after the first for the same problem. You can also get a credit for your service from the time you first reported the issue until it is resolved.

I've asked an employee to assist you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Re: $60 home site visit charge for a tech visit that was requested by Comcast support to fix my i...

Hi there, yyyi. I want to help by looking into your account. 

Can you please private message me your full name? Thank you for posting to our forums. 

To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastMartin" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Re: $60 home site visit charge for a tech visit that was requested by Comcast support to fix my inte

Thank you for your input and I agree and thanks for the insght. The wiring was fine - he took a shot in the dark to see what he could do.