Community Forum

$60 Charge For Xfinity Hardware Problem At The Curb Box

Regular Visitor

$60 Charge For Xfinity Hardware Problem At The Curb Box

I was getting an XRE-03059 error on certain channels after upgrading my plan and getting a new set top box. I tried multiple refreshes and power cycles on the box. Finally scheduled a technician to come to my house. I had to agree to a $60 charge but asked if I would still be charged if the problem was not in my house. I couldn't get a clear answer from the customer service person on the phone. When the technician arrived he found no problems in the house. He did find an old filter on the line in the distribution box at the curb and removed it - no more error messages. I tried using online chat to verify I wouldn't be charged for the technician service. I could not get anyone on chat to understand that the problem was not in my house. They refused to take the charge off my account - only offfering a $20 credit as a "courtesy". I spent an hour waiting for a supervisor who never did join the chat. I finally gave up and called to talk to the billing department. They were able to issue a credit within 10 minutes. The billing problem was that their system insisted on classifying the service call as a failed self installation - even though the problem was not in my house. Why weren't there any notes from the technician regarding the root cause of the error messages? Why did I have to spend over an hour of my time to get Comcast to do the right thing? This is one of the worst customer service experiences I have ever had.

Expert

Re: $60 Charge For Xfinity Hardware Problem At The Curb Box

Dolomoid wrote:

The billing problem was that their system insisted on classifying the service call as a failed self installation - even though the problem was not in my house. 

It wasn't an error. If they send a tech out due to an unsuccessful self-install, you are charged a fee. This is the same as if you had paid a fee for a tech to do the install. It's normal billing practice for Comcast. 

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Official Employee

Hi Dolomoid, the information that (nerdburg) provided is correct. If you receive a self-install kit and you're unable to activate the equipment then we do charge $60 for a tech coming out. I can look further into this for you and confirm if your SIK kit was defective. Please send me a private message with your full name, street address, and account number by clicking on my name (ComcastAmir) and then "private message me".

Regular Visitor

You have made the same mistake as Comcast. Did you even read my post? I don't know how many ways I can say it - this was ***NOT*** a failed self install. The issue was ***COMCAST'S EQUIPMENT*** at the curb (i.e. NOT INSIDE MY HOUSE)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There was no communication from the tech (contractor) to let Comcast know this was **NOT** (do I have to repeat this?) a failed self install.

Expert

Doesn't matter if it was outside your house or not. If they had to roll a truck, you get billed. Smiley Sad

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Official Employee

Dolomoid wrote: You have made the same mistake as Comcast. Did you even read my post? I don't know how many ways I can say it - this was ***NOT*** a failed self install. The issue was ***COMCAST'S EQUIPMENT*** at the curb (i.e. NOT INSIDE MY HOUSE)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There was no communication from the tech (contractor) to let Comcast know this was **NOT** (do I have to repeat this?) a failed self install.

I am not saying it's your fault at all, it is considered a failed self-install regardless if the issue is inside or outside of your home if you cannot connect your services without a technician. I responded to your private message, please reach back out to me there.

Official Employee

Dolomoid wrote: There is no way I could have been responsible for the cost of fixing this problem. It is incumbent on Comcast to maintain its infrastructure and not bill me when it has a defect. Fortunately the person I spoke with in billing after giving up on the chat understood and credited my account. I was glad to have the issue resolved at that time but am extremely frustrated that it took over an hour to get to that point.

I am glad that you were able to get credited for the tech visit, I read all of your message and I apologize for the misunderstanding maybe I wasn't clear in explaining the rules behind SIK's. It's a failed SIK regardless if the issue is inside or outside which is why you were charged the $60.00 fee. I hope this information helps, have a good evening.