Community Forum

xfinitywifi hotspots and subaccounts

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

xfinitywifi hotspots and subaccounts

Apologies if I'm in the wrong section or this has been answered before. I didn't see it in search results.

I need some info on subaccounts accessing xfinitywifi hotspots. I've called tech support a few times, but they're not well-positioned to get this technical and that's OK.

• It’s possible to revoke a subaccount’s access to xfinitywifi hotspots, right? What are the circumstances under which this wouldn’t automatically happen?

• If I suspend, delete, or change the password for a subaccount in the Comcast portal, how long should it take before that subaccount loses authentication? Is there a max time allowed between authentications?

• When a subaccount authenticates on an xfinitywifi hotspot, how persistent is that authentication? Is it session, hardware (MAC) and/or cookie-based? I understand the slight hazard of MAC based – could be easily spoofed. I understand the slight inconvenience of session based. But, if it’s cookie based, wouldn’t someone eavesdropping on the (open) xfinitywifi network be gathering authentication cookies?

I sincerely appreciate any insight, I’m trying to chase down a plumbing issue.

Expert

Re: xfinitywifi hotspots and subaccounts

I'm going to try escalating your concern to the Comcast corporate employees that are available to these boards for an authoritative answer. You should get a reply here in your topic.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Thanks and I see this is in the Customer Service forum heading.
New Poster

Thanks for trying -- should I expect an answer to this?

Expert

It must have slipped through the cracks. I will try re-escalating.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!