Community Forum

payment blocking to EXTORT money from customers!

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

payment blocking to EXTORT money from customers!

Every month comcast will interupt internet service and force customer to use comcast call center to make payment so that they can charge the customer 6.00 which they carry over to the next billing cycle. When comcast interupts the service, the page redirects you to comcast where you have the option to make a payment using your credit card/bank account. Comcast collects your information and then declines to accept the payment which is free so that you have no choice but to call the 800 COMCAST to resolve your billing issue. Every month the 6.00 charge pushes the bill upwards and the amount owed continues to grow ontop of the 9.00 late fee that comcast collects every month for late payment. This is extortion at best, and the customer should be able to access and pay on his account utilizing his/her internet to do so. I have filed a consumer complaint with the FCC and I want all the 6.00 charges removed from my internet bill.

Problem Solver

Re: payment blocking to EXTORT money from customers!

rrolfe wrote:

Every month comcast will interupt internet service and force customer to use comcast call center to make payment

so that they can charge the customer 6.00 which they carry over to the next billing cycle. When comcast interupts the service, the page redirects you to comcast where you have the option to make a payment using your credit card/bank account. Comcast collects your information and then declines to accept the payment which is free so that you have no choice but to call the 800 COMCAST to resolve your billing issue. Every month the 6.00 charge pushes the bill upwards and the amount owed continues to grow ontop of the 9.00 late fee that comcast collects every month for late payment. This is extortion at best, and the customer should be able to access and pay on his account utilizing his/her internet to do so. I have filed a consumer complaint with the FCC and I want all the 6.00 charges removed from my internet bill.

Yeah !!,   if you pay each monthly statement on or before it's "payment due by" date each month, that won't happen.

New Poster

That is besides the point, Comcast collects a 9.00 late fee because I choose the date in which to make the payment. When comcast interupts the internet service and redirects the customer to process an online payment they collect personal information and then decline to accept the payment intentionally because it benefits them to force the customer to call the 800 COMCAST number where they can collect an additional fee!  This is just another tool for comcast to embezzle money from its customers. Infact, last month I got on the phone and specifically addressed this issue with a comcast representative that assured me that the next time I would be able to process my payment. An obvious lie, which is why I got rid of comcast television. Next will be the house phone and then the internet.  Only reason that I keep internet around is because the community that I live in has contracted with comcast.  I think maybe it is time to start petitioning my neighbors to agree that there is a need for WOW! and AT&T  in our community. Maybe if there were more options available the current cable company would appreciate the customer when it comes to accessively billing them.

Problem Solver

rrolfe wrote:

That is besides the point, Comcast collects a 9.00 late fee because I choose the date in which to make the payment. When comcast interupts the internet service and redirects the customer to process an online payment they collect personal information and then decline to accept the payment intentionally because it benefits them to force the customer to call the 800 COMCAST number where they can collect an additional fee!  This is just another tool for comcast to embezzle money from its customers. Infact, last month I got on the phone and specifically addressed this issue with a comcast representative that assured me that the next time I would be able to process my payment. An obvious lie, which is why I got rid of comcast television. Next will be the house phone and then the internet.  Only reason that I keep internet around is because the community that I live in has contracted with comcast.  I think maybe it is time to start petitioning my neighbors to agree that there is a need for WOW! and AT&T  in our community. Maybe if there were more options available the current cable company would appreciate the customer when it comes to accessively billing them.

you have the right to make choices, . . . choices have consequences

but aside from your concern over the fees, 

there isn't enough info here, but any sudden web page (browser) redirection that then asks for your account info and credit card information, should be considered suspect & potentially malicious activity.   It would be safer to immediately close the browser w/o inputing any info,  & pay via other means.  

New Poster

The comcast page is owned and operated by comcast. There is nothing suspect  about the page other than the fact that it is a misrepresentation utilized by comcast that notifies the customer immediately by redirection that the customers service has been interupted. It asks the customer to make a payment by selecting one of two options, collects data from the individual and then intentionally declines the acceptance in which it then refers to the customer to call the 800 COMCAST.  If a person pays the bill utilizing the online payment platform there is no charge for its usage. Declining to accept the payment and then redirecting the customer to call the 800 number where the customer gets billed $6 for processing his/her payment is in my opinion a consumer ripoff tactic used soley for the purpose of embezzeling cash from the individual.  If comcast is not going to honor this payment method, then they should not be redirecting its customer base to such a useless portal for collecting payments! 

Admin1

You can also make payments at service centers. There is no charge to pay there. 

Problem Solver

if demanding that everything be done flawlessly, lets also remind Comcast then, that it has somehow overlooked charging the published $6.00 reactivation fee each month to restore service after payment is finally made ? 

* dunno, imho, its like totally less hastle & less stress to just pay before the "payment due by date" every month.

New Poster

Right!!  The customer should inconveniently drive to a payment center, waste some gas because there is an abundance of gas to waste, and forget about the pay online option all together!  Makes more sense.  Probably should just give comcast a blank check every month and let them fill it in... Or, could just throw hands up in the air and say, enough is enough and cancel everything with comcast and save who knows how much money in the end, because after all, a paying customer is ALWAYS right!! 

New Poster

Now you want me to tell comcast how to embezzle more cash?  I would love to help out, however I must decline. Appears after reading several post on here that comcast already seems to be doing a superb job of jacking its customers. In fact, also appears that they lack in the customer service dept based on the responses I have seen so far.

Problem Solver

just trying to be helpful Smiley Happy

Gold Problem Solver

rrolfe wrote:

. Comcast collects your information and then declines to accept the payment which is free so that you have no choice but to call the 800 COMCAST to resolve your billing issue. Every month the 6.00 charge pushes the bill upwards and the amount owed continues to grow ontop of the 9.00 late fee that comcast collects every month for late payment. This is extortion at best, and the customer should be able to access and pay on his account utilizing his/her internet to do so. I have filed a consumer complaint with the FCC and I want all the 6.00 charges removed from my internet bill.

The fee charged when you speak to an agent in order to pay your bill is called a convenience fee.

When paying the bill on the phone with an agent the payments are processed by Speed Pay, which is a division of Western Union.

The convenience fee charged by Speed Pay for payment processing and the fee goes to Speed Pay.

Other companies also use Speed Pay or other 3rd parties to process payments. All of them charge a fee for doing so.

It is unlikely that the FCC will do anything about it.

New Poster

You cannot justify to me why I am charged a "convenience" fee for paying my comcast bill. To intentionally block payment using comcast web portal and refer customers to use a comcast 800 number wether it is actually comcast, or a third party collector for them is irrellevant. The fact still remains that it is all done dishonestly to collect an additional fee from the customer. We also use AT&T for cellular service and home service in Georgia. AT&T does not mislead its customers to pay the bill using a third party so they can obtain more profit! They also donot redirect using 800 AT&T number to cause grief for their customers. If I were to call AT&T to make a payment over the phone, there would be no charge for doing so. Apparently comcast does not believe in customer satisfaction. As far as the FCC, I feel comfortable that within 10 days they will notify me. After that I also feel comfortable that somebody in upper managment at comcast will be contacting me wanting to know what they can do to satisfy me because that has been my experience with them in the past. If I can't get results from them or comcast, then I will contact my friends over at channel 2 & 7 to see if we can get the issue resolved. If at the end I am not satisfied, then I will just cancel all business transactions with comcast and call it a day. Ultimately, I will stop comcast from stealing from my family! 

Problem Solver

fwiw:  . . .   

nothing in your verbal tantrum changes the underlying basis for your current circumstance.

which is that you apparently refuse to pay your bill on time.    evidently month after month after month. 

the continued excessive hyperbole & gross mis-characterizations do nothing to help you, and potentially diminish your credibility.

New Poster

Comcast is ripping off its customers. period.....  Only hyperbole or gross mis-charactorization is that of which they have designated the lowest of their ranks to deal with all the complaints. Keep posting your senseless one liners and remember to be more antagonistic. And remember this, wether I pay my bill on time, or I pay my bill late, I still pay your wages...

Gold Problem Solver

rrolfe wrote:

You cannot justify to me why I am charged a "convenience" fee for paying my comcast bill.

In no way did I "justify" anything. All I did was give you basic information about the convenience fee.

Don't want to pay the fee? Use the automated payment system on the phone if allowed to do so when making a payment that is late which resulted in service being disconnected for non-payment.

From HERE 

"Processing through a live agent will incur charges."

I will concede that one should be made aware of the fee charged by the processor.

As for AT&T, the reason they don't charge a fee for paying over the phone is because they might not use a 3rd party to process payments.

There is nothing illegal about companies using 3rd party payment processors and those processors charging a fee for the service.

rrolfe wrote:

. Keep posting your senseless one liners and remember to be more antagonistic. And remember this, wether I pay my bill on time, or I pay my bill late, I still pay your wages...

I can surmise that you are talking to dj280. Do you know where dj280 works or if he/she does work? Are you his/her boss and the one who signs his/her paychecks? If not, then yo don't pay his/her wages.

Reason: dj280 is NOT a Comcast employee. He/she IS a Comcast customer, who gets a bill every month and pays that bill.

If you have your forums settings set to see signatures in posts you would have seen mine in my other post in this topic.

Whatever the case, here it is for you. Since his/her name is not in red and there is no designation as an employee you do not pay him anything.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

New Poster

I know late fees, reactivation fees and conveinance fees get real expensive. Have you considered paying your bill in full on time to avoid these fees because it sounds like you are carrying over a balance? I never receive any of these fees on my bills because i pay early or on time every month online or threw my account application which it never gives me a problem with payment processing. I totally understand wanting to do free self service methods too but it sounds like your payments wont go threw online because your internet got disconnected due to lack of payment. Were you aware it is unnessicary to pay threw a representative even in non pay disconnect? You can pay threw automated system or if you have the my account application on smart phone or tablet you can also pay threw there. I used to be in your shoes but i signed up for text alerts and email alerts on billing to remind me so I am on time with my payments. After all I dont have money to give out with 3 kids being a single mom. I truely hope you get threw your rough patch and get caught up soon sounds like those fees can really add up quick!