Community Forum

Xfinity/Comcast claims MODEM I purchased is theirs, and it can't be activated!

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Visitor

Xfinity/Comcast claims MODEM I purchased is theirs, and it can't be activated!

I purchased a used Arris TG862G modem online in January 2017. At the time, Comcast claimed it was still attached to an account, and I had to go to a local store and have it cleared from the system so it could be activated. That was successful.

I then used it issue free for about a year.

Then, Xfinity/Comcast said after an 'Audit' my modem was found to be 'theirs', and they started charging me rent. Several calls and visits were made to try and straigten this out. Finally, I switched plans, and bought yet another (faster) modem. I took the modem, in the box, to the store, showed my purchase receipt, and asked again for them to clear it from their system. They claimed they did.

Now, trying to resell it on craigslist, the person I sold it to took it to the Xfinity store, who told them it was fine, and that it could be activated on their account. They then had the installer come in, who told them, guess what, Comcast owned the modem, and they could not activate it on their account.

I just want to sell this thing and move on, ready to throw it (and my continued Comcast service) away! 

What can be done to fix this? What department do I need to talk to? How can I confirm this so I don't have to go out of my way to buy back the modem a second time from my next purchaser?

Valued Contributor

Re: Xfinity/Comcast claims MODEM I purchased is theirs, and it can't be activated!

Did you buy this modem you are having trouble with brand new? Or was it from another person? If somebody sells Xfinity equipment, the person buying the modem usually ends up out of luck. I don't know if that is your issue since you didnt mention where it was bought from, but if this isn't the case, a corporate employee can help you.
Regular Visitor

Re: Xfinity/Comcast claims MODEM I purchased is theirs, and it can't be activated!

As mentioned, I purchased it used online. It came to me in the original full retail box with all accessories. Serial Number/MAC address numbers on box match the device. 

My understanding talking to Comcast previously, is that 'leased/rented' units come white-boxed, or bulk-packed, not in retail packaging.

I was hoping if anyone has had the same issue, they were able to solve it long-term.

Expert

@markVinNH wrote:

As mentioned, I purchased it used online. It came to me in the original full retail box with all accessories. Serial Number/MAC address numbers on box match the device. 

My understanding talking to Comcast previously, is that 'leased/rented' units come white-boxed, or bulk-packed, not in retail packaging.

I was hoping if anyone has had the same issue, they were able to solve it long-term.

Where did you buy it from?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Valued Contributor

As Again mentioned, you still haven't replied as to WHERE it was bought from. We gathered it was used, but not from where. Still, we can't confirm that of course, only an employee putting in a research ticket (which after an audit told you it was Xfinitys, it probably is)
Regular Visitor

I have reached out directly to a customer service staffer. I don’t have time to play twenty questions with somebody who can only offer a guess. I need a solution. Thanks anyways.