Community Forum

Wrongly charged $60 installation fee

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Wrongly charged $60 installation fee

So I got the self installation kit and did everything I had to to to install it, set up my gateway, plug everything up, changed the name and password on the modem etc. but I still could not get it to work so I called and tried to get help over the phone a number of times but nothing was working when Xfinity was trying to activate my modem as well. So then I was told that it’s not going to work unless a technician comes out and fixes it because he is the only one who can. I told the lady I don’t want him to come out here if I’m going to be charged the $60 because I simply can not afford that hence why I got the self installation kit for $15 and do it myself. She informed me that I wouldn’t be charged for it because it wasn’t my fault that it wasn’t working and I did everything in my power to make it work. She explained to me that the only way for a technician to come out is if they send for one to come out and in order to do that they have to charge me the $60 fee technically but not to worry because I will take tge $60 Fee off right after so I didn’t have to worry. So I agreed and even said I’m not getting charged the $60 fee before hanging up with her and she said correct you will not be charged the $60 for the technician coming out to you. So when the technician got here I was talking to him about it because he was just amazed at everything that I had already done and he said all he had to do was go to the telephone pole by the road and take the blocker thing on it off because whatever Internet Service that was being used at my house before Xfinity it was blocking Xfinity Internet signal from my house and that is why I couldn’t get it to work by myself when I did the self installation kit. But he told me to that I did everything I was supposed to and that he was the only one that could do what needed to be done in order for me to connect to the internet so I will not be charged for him coming out because there was nothing else that I could do. Well when I looked at my account I had saw where I was charged the $60 but I was never credited back for it so I tried to call Dec 31st but it was a Sunday and I wasn’t able to get in contact with anyone. So I called back the next day Jan 1st I told whoever I talked to listen to the phone calls that were made in October because I know they are recorded and you will hear the lady telling me I would not be charged for anything and whoever told me that he would go back and listen to all the calls and then I would get a call back in just a few days. Well a week went by and I didn’t get a call so I called Xfinity Jan 8 I explained everything that was going on to the person on the phone and then they told me not to worry they will credit my account the $60 and it should be on there within the next 24 hours and if not to call them back. Well I went and checked my account and the $60 fee was still there. So I called Xfinity Jan 18 and talked to someone and I was told that I didn’t meet the certain timeline for me to disputed the charges and that I was basically just out of luck and hung up on me. I don’t know what else to do but besides look for a different internet company now because it’s totally outrageous that I’m having this much trouble when I was told that I wouldn’t be charged anything but then was.
Expert

Re: Wrongly charged $60 installation fee

If they send a tech out due to an unsuccessful self-install, you are charged a fee. This is the same as if you had paid a fee for a tech to do the install. Sounds like the employee gave you bad info though.

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

I am not an employee.
Official Employee

Re: Wrongly charged $60 installation fee

Hello Lei2. I can help in reviewing your bill for the technician visit fee you were charged. nerdburg is correct, we do charge a "failed self install" fee. So that I can begin the review, please send me a private message and include your full name, service address, and account number so I can assist you.