Community Forum

What is the Regional Sports fee

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

What is the Regional Sports fee

Since I don't watch a lot of sports what is this fee.  I didn't ask for it "under Additional Services". 

Expert

Re: What is the Regional Sports fee

@p61 wrote:

Since I don't watch a lot of sports what is this fee.  I didn't ask for it "under Additional Services". 

Whether you watch sports or not, if sports channels are included in your cable tier you will be billed for the Regional Sports Fee.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Frequent Visitor

In my area, Limited Basic and Digital Economy do not pay the Regional Sports Fee.  Digital Starter and up do. It's hard to find a definition of what the fee pays for but if we look at the channel lineups for sports channels we can get some idea.

ESPN             Digital Starter or higher
ESPN2            Digital Starter or higher
ESPNEWS          Digital Preferred or higher

Fox Sports 1     Economy

MLB Network      Digital Preferred or higher

NBA TV           Digital Preferred or higher
NBC Sports NW    Digital Preferred or higher
NBCSN            Digital Starter or higher

NFL Network      Digital Starter or higher

NHL Network      Digital Preferred or higher

Pac-12 Network   Digital Starter or higher

Root Sports      Digital Starter or higher

Tennis Channel   Digital Preferred or higher

The Golf Chan    Digital Starter or higher

Official Employee

Hello p61. The Regional Sports Fee is an itemized charge that recovers a portion of the costs of broadcasting multiple regional sports networks to our standard video services. The fee applies to XFINITY TV customers receiving Digital Starter and above, as well as Starter Latino TV/XFINITY TV 450 Latino service tier.

Regular Visitor

I would think - If I'm paying for a package and request the sports channels to be turned off (since I don't watch them) - I shouldn't have to pay the Regional Sports fee (tax) and Xfinity still makes there full amount on the package - a win for them and a win for me.