Community Forum

What is a Convenience Fee?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Visitor

What is a Convenience Fee?

I was charged a convenience fee of 5.99 on my 6/8/14 bill. This is not a regular charge and the label is not descriptive.  Please clarify, or remove the charge.

Tags (1)
Gold Problem Solver

Re: What is a Convenience Fee?

I believe that's the fee they charge when you pay your bill by phone with a rep's assistance.

To find out for sure contact one of their Billing reps at the phone number on your bill or 1-800-Comcast, chat with them using one of the "Account and Bill" options at https://www.comcastsupport.com/chatentry/, or visit a Service Center if one is nearby (check locations and hours at http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/shop/retail/StoreLocator.html).

Regular Visitor

I got a convenience fee too and I always pay online.

Regular Visitor

Thank you.  I called the billing rep, who removed the charge.

New Poster

I was also billed a $5.99 "Convenience_fee" in the "Other Charges and Credits" section of my statement. I always pay electronically and usually several weeks before the due date via my Comcast online account with direct deduction from my checking account # or my debit card.

It required two calls to Customer Service to remove the charge. The first call to the local support # on my bill and after surfing too many IVR menu options designed to prevent human interaction, my call end up in a dead queue with endless phone ringing. Hung up and called the toll free and was connected to a CSR in short order. The CSR said the Convenience Fee would apply in two situations:

1 - Bill pay by calling Comcast and speaking to a CSR.

2 - Late bill pay to prevent a disconnect.

The CSR had no explanation why I was billed in error and credited my account.

Odd this isn't an isolated occurence.

Tags (1)
New Poster

I had the same thing.  I called up and they removed it.  The rep also stated that the fee was for when you pay over the phone.  I always pay online.

This could be an innocent mistake (They happen), or it could be Comcast trying to make some extra money because they know a lot people don't pay attention.  Either way, I don't like things popping on my bill for no reason and a company the size of Comcast really should do better.

I should also be getting an "inconvenience fee" for my time having to call in to get it corrected!

Frequent Visitor

Same here. I live in Cobb county, GA.

The paper bill explains:

Before you pay your bill over the phone, consider going
online to make your payment at Comcast.com/myaccount.
You can avoid a $5.99 convenience fee that may apply.
Paying online is easy and quick. Set up your User Name and
Password. Already have a User Name and Password but
can't remember them? Go to mycomcastid.com.

But, I didn't pay over the phone. I paid the last month bill online as usual. The only thing out of ordinary, and related to phone, is that I received a phone call from a Comcast sales rep, who was trying to sell me a TV service (I only have an Internet service). It was not so polite of me that I interrupted her and hung up. The convenience fee was assessed the next day I got this phone call. Is this just a coincidence?

I contacted customer support through chat and was told my account would be credited $5.99 in the next month bill. The conversation was delusional and evasive: At the end, there was no valid explanation as to why I got the convenience fee this month.

Another addition in this month bill is a new item, "Franchise Fees" of $0.34. There is no explanation nor disclosure of this fee in this month bill nor in the last month bill. Maybe a local franchise has changed and these new fees are related to it?

New Poster

I have exactly the same experience. I got a call from Comcast rep trying to sell me a TV service, I refused and then I got these two exact the same charges on the bill next day. I live in DeKalb county, GA and I don't think it's an isloated accident. Something is up!!